Checklist for wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackx

Baseband Member
Hello all!

I thought I had researched my task well, but it seems I may have landed myself in some deep water.

Basically, I assisted a friend purchase a laptop last week, and in the shopping frenzy we picked up a wireless Router/Firewall/DSL modem.

We are now wanting to create a network which has 2 laptops, the first one (the housemates), which already exists, remains wired to the router/modem. The second (the newly acquired) connects wirelessly to the router/modem.

So, does anybody know of a resource on the web, or can provide a checklist that I can follow to make sure I don't miss anything. From turning on the machines, creating the wired network, to completing security settings for the wireless connection? The full checklist basically.

At this point, the network has not been established, one laptop connects to the net via existing wired ADSL modem.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Setting Up the Router:
-Unplug the dsl modem
-Connect the modem to router with cat-5(looks like wide telephone wire)
-connect the laptop(wired) into router, then turn laptop on
-once the laptop is booted you should turn on the router first then the modem
-you should be automatically connected to the internet on the wired machine

Setting Up wireless:
-Get on the wired laptop and enter your router software cd, follow all the steps, When you come to the wireless internet section I suggest you select a different channel then the default(probably 6) I use 10, just so you dont get interference from other networks.
-Set your WEP encryption to 64bit (this prevents people from stealing your internet)
-Once you are all done you should start up your wireless laptop
-Start the utility that came with your wireless card, if your computer comes with wireless built in it should start up itself.
-The utility will scan channels and find your signal, then selct that and enter your wep encryption key(which you should have written down)

And you should be wirelessly connected to the internet :)

Have fun!

Just 1 thing.

The existing modem will be replaced by the new Router/Modem combo. I assume I plug the wired laptop into the new router/modem and the existing ADSL settings on the laptop should be able to connect still.

However, I find that the old modem was USB, and I am connecting the laptop to the new router via network cable (as it does not have a USB connector). Once this was done, the laptop could not find the new router/modem. And this is where I hit trouble.

Also, just to check, with the instructions above you do not specify the need to create a network or workgroup. Can I do this without creating network between the 2 laptops?

I was hoping this is how I would do it. So the wired laptop would connect just as it did previously, and the wireless would detect the connection (through the router) and connect as well.

Well the router is the network, its kind of the center you might say...it shares the internet as well as connects the computer...On my network I just have to plug in the computer to the router, and windows automatically recognizes the connection...what is your network kit brand name?

The network kit is: Netgear DG834G ADSL Wirelss Firewall Router

Basically, the steps you've described was the way I thought I would do it.

I'll give it another shot and let you know how I go.

Thanks again for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom