Can't get the Computer boot "Nuke and Boot" from the CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read back some of your previous posts, didn't saw you mentioned the Windows Media Edition OS so that is the correct CD. Try what Trotter said, that's all I can think about at this moment. Seems that neither your drives are reading the CD, one minor thing you can do if you have another PC around is if you can interchange your CD/DVD rom within the other PC to rule it out.

Meaning:
Take same drives from "PC A" (1 you're currently working on) and put it in "PC B". Then test a bootable CD and see if the drives picked it up, if yes, then the drives are fine and something else is the problem.

2 questions.

1. Is this a Dell system your trying to use this disk on?
2. Is this the same system that came with the Disk?

Well then you have only a couple of options. 1. the cables need to be replaced since it wont boot from the CD. 2. you have an outdated BIOS and not the last available version. or possibly 3. the drives are bad to the point where they can perform an install.

With it being a Dell only the Mast Drive will be used. If that is your top or bottom drive is dependent on the cable setup. But i know this from my Dell. Only 1 drive would ever recognize any media in it. The other was just there for looks during the boot process.

Can't figure out GParted. I'm just trying to reformat but can't get it to work. Tell it to reformat but works for 3 seconds and says its done. I only have the one hard drive. I don't understand the preceding/following or what I'm supposed to be doing.

Think I'm just giving up on this. Wasted enough time on this. Thanks anyway guys.

I explain everything about GParted in this thread here. You shouldnt see preceding/following or care about it if you only plan on using 1 partition. you shouldnt even be thinking about it. And yes GParted does only take a few seconds compared to Windows which can take upwards of an hour to do the same type of format. Welcome to open source over proprietary software.

So if you formated with GParted then you should be all set to go. That just leaves 1 option. A bad Dell CD. Cause if you can get GParted working, there is no other reason why the Windows CD shouldnt work. It is just a bad CD. It happens. Cant mass produce thousands of the CDs and not get a bad one in there. Just have to contact them and get a replacement.

I explain everything about GParted in this thread here. You shouldnt see preceding/following or care about it if you only plan on using 1 partition. you shouldnt even be thinking about it. And yes GParted does only take a few seconds compared to Windows which can take upwards of an hour to do the same type of format. Welcome to open source over proprietary software.

So if you formated with GParted then you should be all set to go. That just leaves 1 option. A bad Dell CD. Cause if you can get GParted working, there is no other reason why the Windows CD shouldnt work. It is just a bad CD. It happens. Cant mass produce thousands of the CDs and not get a bad one in there. Just have to contact them and get a replacement.

Thanks for reply. GParted takes 2 seconds to reformat? Wow. I did not know that. OK, maybe it worked.

Actually, I know it did SOMETHING, because now I don't even get the "F1 to reboot, F2 for ...." error message. I get nothing now.

Must be the CD. I've used Boot and Nuke, and now GParted. Both worked. I'll call Dell for replacement CD but doubt they will replace it. Way out of warranty.

Borrow someone's OEM XP disk and use the serial on the Dell case. I have had to do it for many people because of this situation, or they have just lost their disks. The license remains with the computer; the media doesn't matter.

EDIT: Ooooh, Media Center. Good luck finding that one.

Borrow someone's OEM XP disk and use the serial on the Dell case. I have had to do it for many people because of this situation, or they have just lost their disks. The license remains with the computer; the media doesn't matter.

EDIT: Ooooh, Media Center. Good luck finding that one.

That's a good point. Actually, I'm selling this computer anyway, so I don't care what version is on the machine. Does it really matter which version of XP I install? The specs will handle any version right? Will the license work for any version of XP?

Couldn't I just download from a torrent? I mean, its not really illegal because I have a license and code that I paid for......I just need a new disk......

Thoughts? Site to download XP?

No the serial will only work for an OEM version of the copy it states. If that is XP Media Center Edition 32 Bit then that is all it will work with. You cant just use it with any old version of XP.

Yes you could just torrent it. Sorry but we cant help you find it. You will have to do that on your own. As the only sites that will have it up for download are sites that dont have much legal content. So we cant link to them or discuss them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom