Can't get the Computer boot "Nuke and Boot" from the CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orange CD you mentioned, I'm guessing it's a CD that came with the Dell? In the BIOS, does it read the both CD-roms?

Also you can try this trick to see if you get the other CD rom to open and test.
]

the orange CD is the original Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD, that I didn't even open until yesterday. I don't think its reading both CD Roms....how would i know exactly?

To be honest, I don't care about the E drive at this point. I just want the reinstallation done so I can sell it. But I'll try your suggestions later when get a chance. Thanks.

When you go into the BIOS and you check the "Standard CMOS Settings/Features" or something similar, this is the settings which list your drives, date and time.

Depending on the BIOS it may look different but you get the idea (example below):
CMOS.gif

Not totally sure about the other issues and why it's happening, may be hardware failure with drives or something, wait for more responses.

Still at a loss. Although I magically got the E drive to actually open. Don't ask me how. But didn't help. Putting CD in that drive didn't work either. The light goes on on each drive, but system just ignores it and right back to the "strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility" message.

Anyone?

Weird all of a sudden the drives don't work
hmmm_by_Yo_Bonewire_Boy.gif
, did you by chance try resetting your BIOS to see if that helps? You can do this by removing the CMOS chip for approx. 5 mins and replace it.

I think I reset the BIOS with technique found on internet. Turning every light on on keyboard, ALT TAB F, ALT TAB E....I think that worked. didn't help.

Weird all of a sudden the drives don't work
hmmm_by_Yo_Bonewire_Boy.gif
, did you by chance try resetting your BIOS to see if that helps? You can do this by removing the CMOS chip for approx. 5 mins and replace it.

CMOS chip. Remove it. Got it.

Um...quick question......what is the CMOS chip? What does it look like? And how do i remove it? Looked inside computer, i couldn't notice anything obvious. I took out battery, let that out few minutes, put it back....no luck. Still doesn't boot off CD.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp.

Sorry if I came off demanding and was confused with the "urning every light on on keyboard, ALT TAB F, ALT TAB E" part. Guess resetting the BIOS still didn't help in anyway and I mistyped, you're correct with the battery.

Also is the orange cd an OS installation CD or is it just for backing up to factory defaults? Reason I asked is because I searched it up and only saw a green CD for Windows XP Pro SP2. May be that CD isn't used to boot? I'm just saying as I can be wrong, but have you tried back the "Boot n Nuke" CD to see if that boots? If it does, then you know the CD is at fault.

Give GParted a try and see if it will boot. If it will then go ahead and format the drive with it.

Joelm may be right. be sure which disk you are trying to boot with. I have made the mistake of trying to use a driver disk when restoring a prebuilt. >.<

Sorry if I came off demanding and was confused with the "urning every light on on keyboard, ALT TAB F, ALT TAB E" part. Guess resetting the BIOS still didn't help in anyway and I mistyped, you're correct with the battery.

Also is the orange cd an OS installation CD or is it just for backing up to factory defaults? Reason I asked is because I searched it up and only saw a green CD for Windows XP Pro SP2. May be that CD isn't used to boot? I'm just saying as I can be wrong, but have you tried back the "Boot n Nuke" CD to see if that boots? If it does, then you know the CD is at fault.

You didn't come off as demanding. Just confusion, that's all. I don't know what CMOS chip is...so I just removed battery for a while. I think the BIOS was reset.

Here's a picture of my installation CD. I'm pretty sure its what I'm supposed to use:

33jp7ph.jpg

Give GParted a try and see if it will boot. If it will then go ahead and format the drive with it.

Joelm may be right. be sure which disk you are trying to boot with. I have made the mistake of trying to use a driver disk when restoring a prebuilt. >.<

I'll try it this weekend sometime and let you know results. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom