Can't get the Computer boot "Nuke and Boot" from the CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
Trying to wipe my old computer hard drive clean before reinstall. At others suggestion, trying to use "Nuke and Boot".

So I downloaded file from the website, burned it to blank CD, and tried to boot from the CD. Can't get it to work. Simply bypasses the CD drive straight into XP. I reordered the BIOS to try to boot from CD first. Still doesn't work.

Not sure if its the CD or my system. But I think its my system. I've had problems with my CD/DVD drives, both D and E, in the past. I can't manually open the drives. Or sometimes I then can. Its bizarre. I have to eject them manually in Windows for them to open. When I manually press them, I can hear them "click" but they don't open. Sometimes the drives, in the past, do not recognize the CDs.

Somebody help. Can someone help me diagnose the problem so I can do what should be a simple task? Thanks.

UPDATE: I tried disabling and reenabling the D drive. I restarted computer. The light went on on the D drive and tried to read CD, but still went straight to XP boot. Did I download Boot and Nuke wrong? I simply downloaded file and burned that file to a blank CD. I didn't unzip it or do anything else. I see the file on the CD. ????

What kind of file was it? if the file was an image file (such as an .ISO) it has to be burned as such, and cannot be burned as data. And since this is a boot disk the chances its a Iso file are very high. If its a archive (Zip,Rar,7z, ect) unzip it and tell us what format the file is in,

If you did burn it correctly and are expireinced problems faulty drives can actually cause errors with boot disk, I remember one time I was reformating my brothers PC I had to use my own Cd/dvd drive to boot from since for some reason his wouldn't work even though it reads disk fine on the actual OS.

What kind of file was it? if the file was an image file (such as an .ISO) it has to be burned as such, and cannot be burned as data. And since this is a boot disk the chances its a Iso file are very high. If its a archive (Zip,Rar,7z, ect) unzip it and tell us what format the file is in,

If you did burn it correctly and are expireinced problems faulty drives can actually cause errors with boot disk, I remember one time I was reformating my brothers PC I had to use my own Cd/dvd drive to boot from since for some reason his wouldn't work even though it reads disk fine on the actual OS.

It's an ISO file. I used Ashampoo and did the most basic "Burn Files to CD" instructions. Was I supposed to do something else?

I mean, I see the file on the CD. I double clicked on the old computer in XP, just to see what happens. It doesn't know what to do with it, asking which program to use.....

Suggestions?

Exactly what El Mike said, the file is is most likely an ISO file to be burned as it's bootable. Please unzip it (extract) and tell us the format (as insisted above). Also could you state what software you're using to burn the CD? It would be easier if stated as we may be able to give you instructions on how to burn the ISO (most likely which it is).

Edit: Guess your reply beat me to it lol. If it's Ashampoo Burning Studio, you may check the video below to see if it helps. Might not be totally exact as I do not know the exact version but it will be close as possible.

Like I said above, it's a 10.3 MB ISO file. I used Ashamppo Burning Studio 2010 Adavanced.version 9.24

I did the Burn Files and Folder option, but now I see the Create/Burn Disc Images option. Is that the one to follow?

Instructions?

When I extract it (which i didn't do before. was i supposed to?) Here is what it opened to:

2d294cg.png

OK, but burn what? When I first download I get the ISO file, then I extract and get a bunch of other files. So what am I burning? Just that first downloaded file before I extract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom