Buzzing through speakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the buzzing or humming like an old amp sound that seems to be Creative's problem there with the X-Fi series cards. The Audigy line never saw any of this.

The new build here sees an OCZ GameXStream 700w supply where you can tell the design of the card is the problem. A conditioner is one thing to look at however while the high pitched sound is never heard. Corsair, OCZ, Channel Well, Seasonic, Enhance, FSP Group all make some of the best supplies.

I'm think x-fi plus cheap power supply equals buzzing sound as I and many others don't have this issue. it's not a frequent concern (it is there though) on their forum

The OCZ model used here isn't any cheaply made supply. The design of the X-Fi series leaves room however for picking more interference from unproperly shielded sources like low quality supplies and increased amplification of raw signal or where none is present.

Once anything whether a wav file, mp3, sound in a game is heard the buzzing disappears. The only time the buzzing is even heard here is when no signal is present on a tv tuner card when opening up the application for that. You never anything at the desktop by itself.

Ok well I've plugged some headphones into my speakers and the buzzing goes away. So...I'm confused..lol...still powersupply you guys think?

The thing most noticed when using the tv tuner card here is when no signal is active and the mixer level or volume control is way up you get that old style amp type buzzing sound. When that is reduced and there is any normal audio signal coming in there's no buzzing at all heard. With headphones you are well shielded with a direct non amplified source while speaker sets have their own amplifier that picks that up.

The high pitched squealing sound you were talking about could be the supply or the speaker set used since the plugged in head set works fine there. Quality of speakers, loose connection like cold solder point, poor or no proper sheilding on a cheap supply. The buzzing sound is Creative there while you have two things to look at for the sound you are hearing.

That would be one idea to look into. So let's see if that works? Wrong! Smart Volume Management switched off cleaned up all humming when no signal present! That was the key found here.

That would be one idea to look into. So let's see if that works? Wrong! Smart Volume Management switched off cleaned up all humming when no signal present! That was the key found here.

that has nothing to do with a noisy cd rom. wtf are you talking about anyway?

On the X-Fi series cards you don't have a cd drive item seen in the mixer to disable on the Audio, Music, and Gamer models like seen on the AUdigy seriies. The SM or Smart Volume Management amplifies the output of other pci type devices like a tv tuner or video capture card with audio inputs. With a tuner card in use simply switching or unchecking the SM option cleaned up the buzzing on the spot.

On the X-Fi series cards you don't have a cd drive item seen in the mixer to disable on the Audio, Music, and Gamer models like seen on the AUdigy seriies. The SM or Smart Volume Management amplifies the output of other pci type devices like a tv tuner or video capture card with audio inputs. With a tuner card in use simply switching or unchecking the SM option cleaned up the buzzing on the spot.

what am I missing again?

x-ficd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom