Buying new Smartphone! Help ASAP!

I've actually been doing more research...

I'm not under contract with Verizon anymore (hence why they want me to upgrade my phone), and T-Mobile will be offering customers the Galaxy S4 for $150 with 2yr contract come the 24th when it releases.

I may end up just switching carriers. Anyone have any huge reasons to stick with Verizon?

I've never used Sprint but.... Verizon has one of the largest coverage maps of the US carriers, especially LTE

I've never used Sprint but.... Verizon has one of the largest coverage maps of the US carriers, especially LTE

This is true. I've had Verizon for years and very very rarely have any signal issues. I even get service in parking decks/elevators.

T-Mobile claims to have 3G/4G LTE service available to 96% of Americans...

In any case, I live in Raleigh... it's a capitol city, not like I'm out in the boonies or anything... So I imagine I'd be okay service wise.

Huge difference between 3G / "4G" (HSPA+) and LTE ;)

My old Galaxy nexus was HSPA+ and I got maybe 3-5 Mbps down.. My iPhone 5 gets like 15 on a bad day, 30-45 on a good day

Huge difference between 3G / "4G" (HSPA+) and LTE ;)

My old Galaxy nexus was HSPA+ and I got maybe 3-5 Mbps down.. My iPhone 5 gets like 15 on a bad day, 30-45 on a good day

What's the difference between 4G (HSwhat?) and 4G LTE?

And to be honest, DL speeds aren't what's most important to me. I care more about being able to afford a badass phone on a budget, with T-Mobile that's possible, not with Verizon (they will want like 3-400 for the S4 with new contract)

And why did you get an iPhone 5 and not wait for the S4? Everything I've read says it trumps it under the hood in every aspect, specifically 'the fastest smartphone ever made'.

Last edited:
I've had the iPhone 5 since September after my Galaxy Nexus died on me :tongue:

"4G" HSPA+ is advertised as 4G by carriers.. It isn't true 4G. Much, much slower (3-5mbps vs 10-45)
4G LTE is the future man :tongue:

Hey Fargie, thanks for your help man.. One last question.

I went into the store today and they were pushing the Nexus 4 on me a bit (instead of the S3 or waiting for the S4).

Here are Nexus 4 specs.. Other than processor speed, it looks comparable to the S4, right?

LG Nexus 4 E960 - Full phone specifications

Edit: Eww, the Nexus 4 has NO SD CARD SLOT! That's just silly.

Last edited:
TBH if the Nexus 4 had LTE, I would be on that instead of this iPhone. I love the Nexus line.. Owned a nexus one and a galaxy nexus. But no LTE kills it for me. I'd take the Nexus 4 over the S III because the 4 is pure android

TBH if the Nexus 4 had LTE, I would be on that instead of this iPhone. I love the Nexus line.. Owned a nexus one and a galaxy nexus. But no LTE kills it for me. I'd take the Nexus 4 over the S III because the 4 is pure android

Oh yeah, I was definitely aware the Nexus 4 was better than the S III...

My question is... Nexus 4 today (for $50 down)... Or wait til the 24th and get the S IV (which has LTE, even though T Mobile doesn't have LTE in my area, just HSwhatever.. for $150 down).

I'm leaning towards the S IV just because I know it's the best smartphone yet, quad core, LTE, 1920x1080 pixels (Nexus 4 is only 720), and ships with 4.2.2 Jelly Bean

Also the fact that Nexus 4 has no SD slot really to me is just stupid.

The international version of the IV is octa core, insane.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd wait. I used an old crappy phone for a few weeks while I waited for the iPhone 5 to finally arrive. It made me appreciate it even more than usual :tongue:

As for LTE vs 4G... Heck I'd still wait for it. T-Mobile might eventually expand LTE into your area, who knows. Also, when you travel you might get LTE in other areas. Definitely better to future proof :tongue:

And you're future proofing yourself with the S IV, too. I anticipate a new Nexus phone coming out within the next few months (At Google I/O)

EDIT: Something I forgot to mention. LTE on the Nexus 4 i s "possible"

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/03/28/t-mobile-quietly-embraces-nexus-4-owners-on-new-lte-network/

I'd take some time to read up on it before you buy one for LTE alone, though. It might not work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom