Buying a bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, for someone who does extreme biking like you do, it IS important. But from the sounds of it, Yami is gonna be using a bike more like I'd use one. Riding over roads/pathways, and even then not to great distances. Like I said, I didn't even pay for my bike and it's great :D
The welds on the frame may be relatively crappy compared to what you look for, but for what he needs it doesn't matter because he's NEVER going to stress them hard enough to break them.

If you want a computer analogy, it'd be me recommending someone who only wants to browse the web to get an i7 w/ WC. GREAT quality, and the performance you'd get from an i3 in comparison is laughable, but it's all they need.

In the end though it's up to you Yami, and I'm not the bike expert here by a long shot :p my suggestions are just based on what I *hope* is common sense and not a lack of sleep.

You're right, for someone who does extreme biking like you do, it IS important. But from the sounds of it, Yami is gonna be using a bike more like I'd use one. Riding over roads/pathways, and even then not to great distances. Like I said, I didn't even pay for my bike and it's great :D
The welds on the frame may be relatively crappy compared to what you look for, but for what he needs it doesn't matter because he's NEVER going to stress them hard enough to break them.

If you want a computer analogy, it'd be me recommending someone who only wants to browse the web to get an i7 w/ WC. GREAT quality, and the performance you'd get from an i3 in comparison is laughable, but it's all they need.

In the end though it's up to you Yami, and I'm not the bike expert here by a long shot :p my suggestions are just based on what I *hope* is common sense and not a lack of sleep.

Yeah - you're absolutely right. In the end, nothing that I say or do means jack ****, because if you enjoy the bike you ride, that's what matters. It's your *** on the seat, your hands on the handlebars, and your feet making the thing move. I just wanted to throw out a little bike faq's your way to at least paint a more understandable picture of the cycling world in regard to why some people get so into it. And also due to the fact I nearly faceplanted a tree at a decent speed on the trail that one day where the Mongoose frame collapsed beneath me, I wanted to stress that "mountain" bikes from department stores should be limited to flat grassy areas with ever so slight hills at the most extreme. Any serious mountain biking, for your own safety, really needs to be on a rig that can handle it. Although this doesn't seem to be Yami's motive, it's at least on the table. Food for thought.

Just tonight I went on a 23 mile ride, and some of the views I saw were absolutely incredible. It was however a bittersweet situation, because I have a feeling today was one of the last 70*F days we'll be seeing for many many weeks... Such a crapper because I just got this road bike and already I'm feeling like the fun is going to be bottled up and taken away. I plan to keep riding in the winter, but it's just not the same.

Yami - has anything changed with your bike thoughts here?

This is certainly a good discussion for me! It's made me think a lot more on the issue. Right now, I'm still on the 'get a good bike' side, but I do feel a lot better educated on the subject. I probably won't be buying for another week or so; still struggling to find a bike online that I really like. Come tomorrow and sunday I'll be going into town to have a look at the bikes.

I did find a bike that I really liked the look and specs of, unfortunately it's only single-speed.
Evans Cycles | Specialized Langster 2010 Road Bike | Online Bike Shop
How possible, practical and costly is changing a bike from small single-gear to a large single-gear, or even to a multi-gear setup?

Thanks for the help and feedback, guys :) I have been reading, just haven't had much chance to reply.

For your intended use... that bike is perfect.

Road bikes are cheap compared to mountain bikes, so a 4-600 pound bike is a great price range.
The bike is decently equiped, and Special-Ed isnt too bad at their house components.

Road bikes are cheap compared to mountain bikes, so a 4-600 pound bike is a great price range.

Most people will say road bikes are more expensive, but I'm not entirely sure I believe either one is more expensive. For example, you can get a cheap (but solid brand) aluminum road bike frame on sale for 100 bucks right now on PricePoint.com. On the flip side, you can get a mountain bike frame on sale with the shock installed for ~500. Wow. What a difference, right?

Compare that to the components. An STI integrated brake/lever set in the "middle of the road" quality set on a road bike would run you 300 easy. Yet I could get brake levers, cables, cable housing, and middle of the road shifters for less than 90 bucks for my mountain bike...

To the OP:

If a bike comes as single speed, chances are it'll have to stay that way without some significant upgrades. A lot of single speed bikes that are built "SS" from the factory don't have cable eyelets mounted on the frame to hold the housing. Some do, but a lot don't. Secondly, a lot of single speed specific bikes from the factory do not come with a derailleur hanger, which holds the "gear shifter" by the rear wheel. Thirdly, a lot of single speed bikes come from the factory with the wheel "dished" for single speed usage.

Do yourself a favor and go look at any bike you have access to right now. Stand directly behind it with it propped up, completely vertical. Look at the rear wheel closely. Look at how the spokes are assembled to the wheel. You will notice the spokes on the drive side are almost not visible from the rear, while the non-drive side is easily visible. This wheel is "dished" so there's room on the drive side for the cassette - which is the "gear pack" that multi-gear bikes have. Single speed specific wheelsets typically don't have such a strong dish effect in the wheel. Instead, it's only slightly dished so it can accommodate one single gear, since that's all it's designed to do.

While I kind of showered you with FAQ's about how good an SS specific bike would work as multi geared, your basic and blunt answer (without a major overhaul) is simply... no. Don't bother. There are TONS of bikes out there. If you want a single speed, go for it. If a single speed is up your alley, great. I've had a single speed bike before, and I plan to build a single speed bike with existing bike parts this spring. But the reality is, for *me* (you may be different) a single speed bike doesn't belong as my #1 bike in the stable. I like speed. I like climbing. Therefore, a single speed isn't for me. If you like simplicity and you don't want to bother with extra gearing and whatnot, go for it. For me, single speeding was a LOT of fun at first - but once the honeymoon was over, I began to miss my climbing abilities and my bombing down hills. My single speed I plan to build this spring is of spare parts, and is intended for bumming around town. I'd be surprised if I'd ride it more than 40 miles a year once I get it done... But I know people who SWEAR by single speed bikes. You may be one of them. Just trying to play devil's advocate so you understand both worlds here.

But anyway, there are a ton of bikes out there. Many, many to choose from. Many brands. Many styles. Sizes. Colors. Geometries. Your choices don't have to be limited to one brand. Keep looking, be patient, and most importantly - ride the bike before you buy it. Even if you ride it in the shop and then buy online to save some cash - great. But riding it prior is important.

Good luck! Keep posting back with your updates - I'm anxious to hear what you end up finding.

I know about bikes too... I road 5grand plus bikes... I also know a mid range road bike will run under 1500, while a mtn bike runs 2500... Its due to the forks... my last set of forks ran 1500 alone.

I did however miss the linked bike was SS.... i READ THE 16t as 16 speed... and really didn't look at the picture...

And that bike cannot be geared, Its a horizontal dropout....

So i'll revise my thoughts ....... Its mst likely not for you, though it has a freehub.

I know about bikes too... I road 5grand plus bikes... I also know a mid range road bike will run under 1500, while a mtn bike runs 2500... Its due to the forks... my last set of forks ran 1500 alone.

I did however miss the linked bike was SS.... i READ THE 16t as 16 speed... and really didn't look at the picture...

And that bike cannot be geared, Its a horizontal dropout....

So i'll revise my thoughts ....... Its mst likely not for you, though it has a freehub.

If you were running 1,500 on forks you sound like you were doing some form of extreme downhill "jumping off of cliffs" riding? I personally feel as if road biking is the more costly of the two on average - but either one can bust the bank if you get too into it. You can easily spend upwards of 6 grand on each side of the sport. It's horrible for me getting into BOTH sides of it now... gotta put in some overtime...

Yha, dual crown is the other name... tripe clamps the older term, as the old forks had bolt on arches, then lower crown, below head set, and top crown, above the headset.
3170.jpg

7" of travel and a 20mm axle, Sooo nice and squishy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom