Buying a bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always known them as dual crown. All the DH bikes I have ever ridin' have been DC with 7"+ travel. The latest being an Evil with adjust ability from 7-10" travel.

FOX RACING SHOX :: BIKE : FORKS : 40 FIT RC2

I am really big into DH and 4X I just can't afford decent enough bikes as I ride everything hard, so cheaper bikes I know I would cripple fast.

When I started, long travel fork was 4" of travel, and huge was a 5" travel dual crown/triple clamp fork. That was '97/98. And the Monster T was used for downhill... Though it was originally a motorbike trials fork!

When I lst rodein '03, a single rown fork was hitting 6".

Now i'm out of the scene, and hsaven't looked at bike stuff in a few years.

DH and 4x don't need huge super strong bikes. Real coarses don't have huge drops or crazy jumps neding the impact strength. Look at the boxxer fork, light and adjustable. Perfect race fork.

Modern downhill trails are more ins intense then you think.. A lot are requiring that much travel. On my bike I am getting a RockShox Argyle 318 Coil.

Yeah - some trails I've seen are pretty hairy. I've never been into the downhill scene though, and I tend to stick to more traditional cross country/all mountain style trails. Currently my bike has a 2010 Tora Solo Air (not to be confused with the 2011 Tora that was neutered). It has the upgraded Motion Control damper and a 20mm axle. For what it's worth - I'm never going to own a mountain bike again without a 20mm front axle. Big fan of that. Sounds like you have quite a history with biking patonb - what made you stop? Do you do any form of cycling, whether it be bmx, road, etc. now a days?

Yami - we haven't heard from you in a bit. Anything change in your bike hunt?

^yha soul remembers...... Helmet head hits immovable ground........ Somethings gotta give, and well it was a piece of me that moved, so now i don't move to well.

But I get great parking and never have to worry about getting a seat. ;)

Yha the 20mm axles pretty nice. Ironically the hairiest things i've done were on my hard tail... but my squishy was quite fun... The only thing that sorta scared me was a 2x6 or 8 8ft in the air. Unlike drops and gaps, ladders in the sky just get freaky due to the slow speed.

Agreed with that.. I am all for hauling downhill fast, but once I get onto the balance beams I get nervous..

Yami - Any idea on what you want yet or have you made a decisions?

I dont mean to thread jack but, what exactly happened paton? If you don't mind sharing.

I do have a much better idea now what I'm after, and for my purposes this thread's now done :) Thanks for all the help! I haven't made a decision yet, but I am more informed now. All I know is, I have to buy it before 1st January cos tax goes up to 20% then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom