BSOD problems yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so i ran memtest for a good few hours no errors.

I ran chkdsk again no errors. I was installing my sound card drivers and i had to reinstall. Upon restart i got this BSOD when i tried loading into windows

STOP: C000021a (fatal system error)
Initial process or system process Terminated unexpectedly with a state of (0xc0000221 0x0010037c)

I also a few new errors in the admin logs when i finally got back into windows.

{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
Writer Name: System Writer

The NVIDIA Display Driver Service service depends on the nvlddmkm service which failed to start because of the following error:
NVIDIA Display Driver Service is not a valid Win32 application.

Alright so i ran memtest for a good few hours no errors.

I ran chkdsk again no errors. I was installing my sound card drivers and i had to reinstall. Upon restart i got this BSOD when i tried loading into windows

STOP: C000021a (fatal system error)
Initial process or system process Terminated unexpectedly with a state of (0xc0000221 0x0010037c)

I also a few new errors in the admin logs when i finally got back into windows.

{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
Writer Name: System Writer

The NVIDIA Display Driver Service service depends on the nvlddmkm service which failed to start because of the following error:
NVIDIA Display Driver Service is not a valid Win32 application.

try another video card

try another video card

I haven't had a single video card related problem yet. I really don't think it's my video card. My main concern right now is stopping the slew of bsod errors i keep getting.

Alright so i just ran memtest again on the single stick of ram i thought was good and i got a pile of errors at test 2.

I have a few other questions here.

Is it possible my motherboard is bad but the ram is fine? I mean i did the test when i originally started having bsod problems. Originally it said one of the sticks had problems so i pulled it out and ran just the one fine for a month until now.

I have two spare 512MB sticks of ocz pc3200 ram. My MB spec says it supports as low as 533mhz. Can i use these to test it ? Or do i risk damaging my MB if it's not supported?

if it's ddr1 it will work. the worst thing that can happen is the processor will run at a slower speed

For some reason this ram would not it in the slots. Physically they are the same size and pins but the ridge in the middle is in a slightly different spot than my other ram Crucial ballistix tracer.

I put both my new ram sticks in and i'm on test 6 with no errors yet. I really don't understand how i can test a ram stick and get a pile of errors then i remove the stick and blow on it and the ram slots then put them back and get no errors. I don't think it was a dust issue as i clean my pc once a month.

EDIT: nvm i got 30 errors in each slot on test 7.

I guess my next question is that can i do about the errors. Is there anyway to fix them? Or is it purely an internal physical problem?

Did you manage to get Vista into safe mode, F8 held after the POST?
POST=power on self test.

My advice on these major BSOD series is always a fresh install after trying reinstall of ALL your drivers, especially video and sound, and direct-x.
If it keeps coming, you've now got a hardware problem for sure.

As defense, make first partition for OS and don't put any important files/games/etc on it, except the OS related fare, so it's a much easier wipe and drop.

Secondly, get a enclosure and put the drive in it, and back up the data you want via USB on another computer, then reformat and make smaller first partition, and 2nd bigger, as said above. 8)

Drives are so cheap now, 32 cache 250gig for $80 on Newegg, is what I use for my primary drive.

Flaky drives get the permanent enclosure treatment until scrapped, and only put files that I don't really care about losing...

I use the 3 year rule on HD's, that's all I expect them to last, if in the main system.

I think the original poster needs to check his services, I'm betting he's running way too many unnecessary ones.

I'm not a Vista guy yet, so it's harder for me to troubleshoot it.

Also, is there any overclocking being done here? any recent change to the system at all?

BIOS settings tweaked? or look right to you, now?

Hello Bad,

This is a fresh install that he kepts getting these issues with.

Well the repair failed due to a corrupt file. Kinda strange. Doing a fresh install now.

So it is most definately a hardware related issue. Jsut have to figure out which. Since he said he ran MemTest86 and it didnt turn up errors. So that rules out RAM.

Cheers,
Mak

I thought he was having all kinds of BSODs and now is trying to do a fresh install.

I am wondering if his northbridge or southbridge is shot.

Which=new motherboard, unfortunately and would explain his never-ending BSOD madness. 8(

All it takes to bust a motherboard is plugging in ANY PS/2 mouse or keyboard, while the system is on.

Too many northbridge and southbridge chipsets don't get good protection and over time...

Yeah sorry mark i think you might of missed some information a few posts up. I got another BSOD when trying to load windows.

I ran memtest again and i came up with 30-35 errors total with an error confidence rating in the 70's. This wouldn't be the first time i've gotten errors while running memtest with this machine. Originally i thought it might of been dust but i have cleaned it several times in the last month.

I'm currently running memtest with each module isolated to try and find out if it's one stick or both, or if it's the dimm slots themselves. I've ran the pc for a time with each ram stick isolated and i've gotten BSOD both times so i'm pretty sure both my ram sticks are done. I did get them in a dual channel kit so i guess it's possible.

I guess my question is why can i run memtest one day and get no errors then run it another day and get errors. Doesn't memtest run the same tests in the same order every time?

Hello Bad,

He did get a bunch of BSOD's but after checking the Stop Errors it was advised to do a fresh install which he did. Now he is experiencing more issues after the fresh install. This started from post 15 on that the fresh install was done and new errors came up. Post 22 is where he posts about running MemTest86 and getting a new set of Stop Errors.

IBM,

According to this KB article posted by Microsoft...

Error Message: Stop c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Session Manager Initialization System Process...

They say that ERD Commander might be able to help you. It is more toward Windows NT 4.0 but it might help seeing as Vista is still a NT Based OS.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom