Bolt Nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Today me and my dad set out to fit the the rear bumper for the land rover we're doing up. It required removing 2 old bolts. But it was so incredibly hard it was unbeleivable.

The bolts were 12years old, very rusty and seized up. We achieved nothing with a 1.5foot long torque wrench, with both of us pushing on it. Even after copious amounts of penetrating oil. Nothing. So then we went and bought a 3hp aircompressor, and a 260ft/lbs air impact wrench - still, wouldn't budge the things. Finally we resorted to a 1ft long wrench, with our own home made 3ft metal pipe attatchment, then finally it became loosish - then the thing snapped !, but we got the other out successfully.

So, we wipped out the drill and started drilling the thing out, 2 batteries later on the cordless drill got us through with our initial hole, now we got the mains powered big electric drill - after snapped 3 metal drill bits, we made a hole big enough to put the bolt extractor on. Which ofcourse, didn't work - it just got tighter and tighter but the bolt didn't budge. So after 10 minutes of heating with a blow torch and then freezing it with some kind of freeze spray, it became loos enough to extract the snapped bolt.

Seven hours, £350, two batteries, 3 drill bits later we were done :D Heck.. if this is a sign of things to come..:rolleyes: So, we have decided to return the cheep air torque wrench and go out tommorow and buy a good air impact wrench with a working force of 725ftlbs. That'll do the trick.

HA! Aren't frozen bolts a pain in the butt? I was doing the brakes on my Chevy C10 (Well when I had it), it had fron disk brakes. One of the two bolts for the calipers (I think, this was a good two or three years ago now) was frozen. Couldn't get the thing out. Had to hammer at it for a solid 5-10 minutes before I could get it lose.

I just read an article in a magazine about a guy who uses a TON of WD 40 on frozen bolts. Sprays it on through out an entire day, lets it sit over night, than comes at it the next day and it usually comes off.

Heat the thing first, cool it VERY quick heat it again an cool as fast as you can then just shatter the little sods off I saw a few REM spanner jockeys do it with a landrover a while ago.

Yeh main problem is using a blowtorch especially around the engine area is a bit scarey, and gotta be careful not to damage or break anything other than the bolt/nut too.

Any ideas on what type of blowtorch we could use to heat the buggers up. I mean, i thought a blow torch was a blowtorch, seems there are many types though :p

That I don't recall but the flame was enough to get it cheery red faster than normal, give me a sec an I will see what i can find that looks like it, while your doing it up is this inside a garage or outside because if it's in you might as well just take the motor out while your working on the chassis.

Speed is the key mate especially when it comes to the cooling, that little one might do it for smaller bolts but anything serious it might struggle with. I am thinking that the bigger one will be the better option as the gas bottles are cheep last a while and you can use that torch for more than just heating if you read the description.

Using propane for tasks like that is just not the way to go. If you are going to be doing projects in your garage get a small Oxygen acetylene torch kit. It will be worth the money.

True. So how do you cool a bolt really fast, me and my dad were just spraying water on them earlier but i am thinking perhaps there is a better way.
Now i am thinking logically i can see us needing a welding torch somewhere down the line.

TheFlash dude, the landy is just parked on our driveway, not in the garage (won't fit, roof to high on the discovery)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom