Becoming a Network Tech/Engineer

hurricane1091

Beta member
Hello. So basically I went to a 2 year school for Liberal Arts and Sciences. I transferred to a 4 year school afterwards to study Meteorology, but did not stick with it. I went back to another 2 year school and got an AAS in Computer Systems Technology with a 3.8 GPA or so. I finished school in December of 2013. I have the CompTIA A+ and Network+, and a Microsoft Technical Associate cert in Networking Fundamentals. I'm about to take the CCENT, and then the Security+. I plan to get a CCNA in networking afterwards. I have a job in the field right now as IT support basically.

My real question is this: Can I become a Network Engineer without a 4 year degree? I know I need a few years of experience even after I get the CCNA, but I feel like this lack of a Bachelor's should not hold me back. For where I am at in life (22 years old), I feel like I have more knowledge and understanding of networking than those who are 22 and fresh out of a 4 year program. I'm no guru, and have a TON to learn still. But things actually do make sense to me and they become clearer by the day. So what do you boys think? Obviously we're talking down the road, I'm not remotely close right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a network guy with a 2 year degree, so it won't stop you from getting the job. I started off with less money due to not having a Bachelor's, though, so there are other ways that it can hold you back. Like I always say, a 4 year degree isn't necessary but having one is always better than not having one.

It's possible, you'll see most older network guys don't even have a degree. I was a network administrator with a 4 year degree - but in HR not IT.

Experience is more important. Once you get your foot in the door working opportunities will arise.

Back
Top Bottom