Just built a computer, but won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogee114

Beta member
Last week I ordered a barebones kit and was looking forward to having a great machine but I haven't been able to get it to boot up yet. Here's what I ordered to be installed in the system.

Pc Chips M863g motherboard
AMD XP 3400 CPU
512mb DDR PC2700 333mhz ram
clear side panel gaming case

So I get it and it looks great. I installed the hard drive (from a previous computer) , DVD burner, floppy drive, graphics card, and memory. I read the motherboard manual and make sure everything looks ok (jumpers, ect.)

When I turn it on, the fans kick on but nothing else. My monitor doesn't come on. I try moving the monitor cord from the onboard video port to the AGP card and still nothing. No beeps come from the computer either, just a constant on, off, on blinking from the dvd drive light and a red light on the case.

So, then I take everything out of it except the HD and the RAM and try to boot. Nothing again. I've tried everything I can think of. Does this sound like a bad CPU/MB/RAM problem or am I just missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

try booting without the RAM in to see if it will throw you a beep code then...are your fans plugged directly into the power supply or a 3-pin plug on the mobo..if plugged into the mobo then we know the mobo has juice.

the fans are plugged into the power supply. I will try the no memory when I get off of work.

i dont know if u put the CPU fan into the cpufan1 connector on the mobo or jsut hooked it up to a molex connector. but i do know most or all bourds require u to have it on the mobo fan1 port.

even if the fans are connected directly to the PSU, wouldnt thy not turn on if the mobo didnt have any juice? because the switch is connected threw the bourd.

so it sound like maybe the PSU might be working.

if the cpu fans is connected to the motherbourd and it spins up. then try whats mentioned above... boot with nothing on the bourd, except with the CPU/hsf of course. and see if it beeps.

ohh dugghh...the heatsink fan has to be connected through the motherboard..soo if THAT fan is getting power then the mobo has adequate power I would say.

ooo.. looks like a branch of tiger direct, no wonder its not working properly.

question... dont the athlon XPs only go up to 3200+, that has a XP 3400??

Well, I've had problems like this before, try two things:
1st, try to check the RAM, taking it out, replacing it (even with something older, make sure same type though)
2nd, if 1st doesn't work at all, it's probably your power supply.

:( Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom