PSUMistake, did i kill my pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerolaw

Beta member
i bought a new PSU for my aging computer and made a mistake while hooking it up. my motherboard uses the 20 pin ATXPWR1 connection but this PSU comes with a 24, it however was detachable and split the extra 4 pins off. these 4 pins looked alot like the 4pin ATX12V1 connector my motherboard also used, so i connected it there.that was the mistake i made, upon trying to power the system up everything started for half a second or so and then jolted to a stop. i disconnected everything and hooked my old PSU back up. the motherboard lights up it has a little LED to show it is connected to a powersupply and a larger one that shows where in the POST you have errors. these both work but now when i push the power button on the front of the case i get no response.
i planned on building a new pc anyways but i was looking to get a little more life from this one.
my question is did i totally kill a component on my pc or is there a possibility i can still salvage it for a bit while i figure out what i want to build.

thanks for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom