Power Supply Fried... Motherboard Failure?
So here is my problem, i have resorted to coming to this random place to ask for an opinion, so i hope i don't sound too stupid...
so about a week ago i turned my computer off, shut it down normally, and was laying down when i heard a *POP* sound, i didnt think much of it until i smelled a burning smell, sort of a hott computer smell or something.. so i take a look, and notice that when i turn on my power supply it made a humming sort of sound, and didn't turn my computer on, after turning trying to turn it on a few times, and the smell coming back shortly after each try, i took it out and opened it. After opening the power supply and turning it on, i would notice it would make the humming noise and even start to smoke from the middle, so i thought i had figured out my problem. I ordered a power supply, and plugged it in, and now nothing is wanting to start. I don't notice anything wrong with the motherboard, and after fooling around with the power switch a little too much .. i ended up with two wires i now have to fool around with to attempt to turn it on, holding it onto the pins, even though it didnt power on before i even messed that up. Now, i have read around about how power supplies could fry motherboards when they messed up, but in most of those cases i believe the computer was on, and mine was fully shutdown, also after messing with the startbutton wires for a little i got it to start spinning the fan on the cpu for a brief second (strangely this time i had the power supply set to 230v instead of 115v.. is that bad? or why it ran for a brief second?), which i guess maybe means that the cpu/motherboard could be ok? I have also shorted the new powersupply to test it, and it ran fine.
is there anything i can do? is my motherboard fried? any help would be appreciated
- Some random guy