I upgraded and fried my MB. Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trial&error

Beta member
OK I recently got fed up with old clunker and attempted to step up the performance. I plan to eventually turn it into a decent gaming system, but for now I am looking for good media quality rather than the word processing slug it was.

So I bought a new Hard drive and OS for a fresh start. First overlook was the SATA drive I bought having an old PSU lacking the correct connection. After a quick run to the store I grabbed a new PSU and went ahead and grabbed another DDR.

I have no idea what I am doing, which is hindsight of course. I am not the type to blow cash so easy but I am running into some big issues either with compatibility or something has recently given out on me. Before I get into the details here are the ingredients to my frankenstein:

ASUS P4P800-VM; Kingston KVR400 1GR x 2; GeForce FX 5500, 128MB; 1TB WD10EARS; Antec EA-650W; View Panel monitor VE170; Windows 7 OS; generic case and optical drive.

OK so I installed the PSU and the HD but upon power up fans and optical drive spun up but monitor read no signal. I Dropped it down to a single GB of RAM and tried again and everything powered up fine. I spent about 30 minutes on installation and set up of Windows 7 with no indicators of catastrophe.

I decided to shut it off and add the second GB of RAM to see if it would work... apparently a horrible idea. I powered back on and got "no signal" again from the monitor. Too easy I'll just pop out the 2nd stick and go back to the configuration that worked. Riiiight... Not so easy. The power had to be shut off at the PSU because the switch on the front wouldn't work at all. After removing the extra RAM the system was remained in the same state. Would not send a signal to the monitor and had to be shut off at PSU.

I stripped it down to the bare minimum, reset BIOS and spent hours reading forums of vaguely related but not helpful enough topics. This morning I woke up and my son had powered it on before school, something must've fried because when I found it, it was all off. I attempted to power on to continue trouble shooting and nothing.... it wouldn't do a thing.

Alright so I tested the MB with the old PSU and nothing. So it seems safe to assume my MB is dead.

Before I spend a dime on replacing it and frying another one does anyone have ANY theories or suggestions to avoid whatever mistake I made?

A side note, there were no beeps on ANY of the start ups during this entire project. The LED on the motherboard no longer lights up on power on this morning either.

Hope this wasn't too much information but I wanted to cover all bases to get this resolved fast. Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom