Applying Thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH LOL! so you just use the computer then turn it off, OH I SEE! so all im going to do is take my old heatsink off. use the artic silver thermal cleaner and purifer, add a grain and a half size drop onto the middle of the die. slowly place heatsink and push down. turning CCW and CW a little bit. then lock the latch and im done. woot woot.

NEW QUESTION?
ok, im also getting a zalman VGA cooler. should i just do the same exact thing. take off the old heatsink clean it. and add like how much onto the GPU? and should i spread it?

PZEROFGH said:
NEW QUESTION?
ok, im also getting a zalman VGA cooler. should i just do the same exact thing. take off the old heatsink clean it. and add like how much onto the GPU? and should i spread it?

Yup, do exactly the same thing... The zalman VGA cooler comes with RamSinks... Don't forget to use them... IT's a great cooler by the way...

oh yeah on the ramsinks. so i just put some thermal paste on it? and just push down the ramsinks onto the ram...? its that easy?...wow

HOW MUCH DO I PUT ON THE GPU!!! a grain? grain and a half? 2 grains? half a grain? 2 pounds?

1) take off old heatsink

2) clean

3) apply grain and a half

4) put heatsink on

5) latch and turn cw and ccw

6)done

1) take off old heatsink

2)clean

3)add a grain?

4)spread

5)put little drops of thermal compound on the ram? and then add ramsinks

6)put heatsink on

7) push down

8) done

Chankama said:
It's actually more like 200/24=8.3 days. I think 1 week should be more than enough. The suggested time usually takes into account the worst possible environment possible I would imagine. If you really want to stick to the AS5 official time of 200 hours, I guess you can go one extra day - 1 week and 1 day..

I see what you mean. I was counting the 200 hours as only the "turned-on" hours. But just in case someone's still wondering, heres the exact quote.

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

i broke my video card. lol. to the right of the mouse there is a little black stripe...must have busted a pipeline when i was installing the fan........

I do the following:

Clean CPU die surface with purifying solution.
Apply a good sized drop of AS5 to die.
Use an old credit card to spread out the AS5 evenly across the die.
Then carefully... Kinda like a "mason", scrap off excess AS5... Leaving only a very, very thin layer of AS5 over the die. My thermal grease is now very smooth with little to no air pockets.

Then i carefully lower the HS&FAN onto the die and fasten it into place....

Works well.
Considering the AMD64's have heatspreaders and not cpu dies....you don't follow these instructions.

A small dab in the middle, put on the heatsink give it a tiny ass twist in each direction which generally isn't needed as the heatsink will naturally be moving a little bit as you put it on anyway and bolt that sombeotch down

it was actually quite easy. but it wouldnt work until i either plugged in the thermal sensor or the fan controller. i was liike WHY ISNT IT WORKING!?!?!?! then i put the stock heatsink back on. it worked. then i put the new heatsink on and plugged in a fan controller cause its very loud at 6000rpm. and it worked. WHEEE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom