Buying new Smartphone! Help ASAP!

JoshuaJay

Troll Patrol
My Motorola Droid 2's tether jack is loose, and it finally is at the point where it wont charge.

So, I'm in a rush to buy a new phone before the battery dies! I'm a Verizon Customer and have a Device Upgrade available, I'm on a budget so I've narrowed it down to 2 selections.

I currently have this: Droid 2 Motorola DROID 2 specs

My choices are between:

Droid Razr HD - Motorola DROID RAZR HD - Full phone specifications
Samsung Galaxy S III - Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - Full phone specifications

My main goal here is gaming... For instance, I like the re-releases of the Final Fantasy titles for android, but they lag a bit on my Droid 2. I want to ensure they wont lag on my new phone!

So, my main question is which one will give me the best bang for gaming and speed? I notice one is a dual core, the other is a quad... They look fairly similar otherwise.

These are the only two in my price range that I like... so...

Edit: I notice on the Spec pages, it doesn't show the Galaxy S III as 4G LTE... But on the verizon site it does say it's 4G... I assume both the phones I linked are in fact 4G?

Last edited:
I believe the Razr HD is LTE. Or maybe tha'ts the Razr Maxx... I know the Razer Maxx is, my friend has one.

Is it possible for you to wait for the Galaxy S IV to release? That one has even better specs than both of these.

I believe the Razr HD is LTE. Or maybe tha'ts the Razr Maxx... I know the Razer Maxx is, my friend has one.

Is it possible for you to wait for the Galaxy S IV to release? That one has even better specs than both of these.

They are both 4G LTE (Galaxy S3 and Razr), I did some research...

I just said that I listed the only 2 I could afford, I also just said that I needed one today.. so no, waiting is not an option :)

Can someone answer my original question as to which is better for gaming and under the hood type stuff?

Last edited:
Woops, I had no idea the SIII was $100 on contract...
I'd get the SIII. There's a reason why they're the (second) most popular smartphone on the planet :tongue:

That and the quad core.

Woops, I had no idea the SIII was $100 on contract...
I'd get the SIII. There's a reason why they're the (second) most popular smartphone on the planet :tongue:

That and the quad core.

Yep!

$100 for both the Razr and the S3 on Contract at the moment.

I could never afford the S4 when it releases.

In that case I'd get the SIII, definitely. Most games on Android won't support quad core right now, but as they become the norm you'll see more and more supporting it.

EDIT: Plus, if you ever feel like rooting / putting a custom ROM on it, the community behind the SIII is much, much larger than the Razr

Last edited:
In that case I'd get the SIII, definitely. Most games on Android won't support quad core right now, but as they become the norm you'll see more and more supporting it.

EDIT: Plus, if you ever feel like rooting / putting a custom ROM on it, the community behind the SIII is much, much larger than the Razr

When you say most games on Android wont support quad core...

You mean the game will simply run on 2 cores?

Or it just wont run at all on a quad core?

You also talked about Rooting/Custom ROMS.

I just use my PC to download any apk (freeware, of course, no pirating here) I want and then put it on my phone via tether, and install it with an app installer app.

I can still do that with the SIII without being rooted right?

Last edited:
I believe so, you just have to enable third party apk installs

Back
Top Bottom