unbelievable cpu cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
please elaborate for the 56k ppl...namely me! lol

anyway, not knowing what it is...chips will soon have water cooling built in, you guys have seen it right? i'll post if not

water cooling built in...hope it comes to consumers soon, ie, 2010...usb 3.0, win 7 and my next build hopefully :D

I know what this is without clicking on the link...It's the vegetable oil cooled pc isn't it?

A few things I know about it:
The psu is fine as long as they remove the fan from it.
When they tried the same thing with distilled water and another time with alcohol I think the system lasted like a few hours and then stopped working. But I haven't heard of any system that stopped working because of this technique yet.

Imagine taking this into bestbuy. LOL i wanna hear some geek squad loser say "hmm, you need more RAM sir"

they used mineral oil :|

but like some comments said, eventually it'll heat the oil up and it won't be taking heat away from the CPU...and most likely just make the whole system A LOT hotter

(question: why don't people use things like mineral oil in WC'ing loops? seems like it would take longer to heat up than water)

I have the same question. What is cooling down the oil? Lets be serious here, even if the oil heats up to say 80 degrees (room tempish) that would still be warmer then a fan blowing on the components.

I would LOVE to see the heat comparisons of a fan cooled processor and a liquid cooled one. Sure the first hour would probably be cooler using the liquid, but once that liquid heated up (even to say only 80 or 85 degrees F) i bet the fan would keep the system cooler on average after a few hours of work.

I love the link and it makes people think. LOVE IT!

Lex has a good point. How is water-cooling that much better? I know it uses rads and fans to cool the water...but after awhile i'm sure you couldn't keep it much cooler than the ambient temperature.

Lex has a good point. How is water-cooling that much better? I know it uses rads and fans to cool the water...but after awhile i'm sure you couldn't keep it much cooler than the ambient temperature.

You ever jump into a pool in the summer?
Even though its hot outside, the water is still cooler than the air around it.

The advantages of using water cooling over air cooling include water's higher specific heat capacity, density, and thermal conductivity. This allows water to transmit heat over greater distances with much less volumetric flow and reduced temperature difference. For cooling CPU cores, this is its primary advantage: the tremendously increased ability to transport heat away from source to a secondary cooling surface allows for large, more optimally designed radiators rather than small, inefficient fins mounted on or near a heat source such as a CPU core.

didn't think of that lol.

anyone know what kind of temps they got by doing the mineral oil thing? didn't say in the video...and i still don't think it would be that great especially after the oil heated up (nothing taking the heat away)

even still, some good points since I last posted in this thread *call me tenacious, but seeing that vid just wasn't natural! ok, so what you had, say, a pump system to circulate the oil, that would solve the static heat issue. that's the same idea to the water cooled systems AND air cooled systems, just have to have circulation. so it's harmless and nobody knows how long a system will last under oil?

even still, some good points since I last posted in this thread *call me tenacious, but seeing that vid just wasn't natural! ok, so what you had, say, a pump system to circulate the oil, that would solve the static heat issue. that's the same idea to the water cooled systems AND air cooled systems, just have to have circulation. so it's harmless and nobody knows how long a system will last under oil?
Ya, i guess i take back my previous comment. Because the oil more than likely would alsways stay at or near room temp because although this is a closed environment (they sealed the lid), the sides of the tank would always cool/heat up the liquid to the room temp.

What about a hard drive? I realize it is magnetic too, but i would think that the read/write head would have difficulty moving through the oil no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom