Linux router to wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

crypted

Baseband Member
Allright, my home network is setup as the following:
DSL MODEM -> LINUX ROUTER -> SWITCH (three computers off it) -> HUB (Xbox and another computer off it). However, I'd like to somehow add wireless cheaply to this bundle without having to get an actual Wireless DSL Router. What kind of optional solutions do I have?

Also if you know of any online sites with cheap, decent laptops for sell, drop that link in your replies! Thanks.

the easy way would be to buy a wireless access point and add it to the switch. config is prolly the easiest this way.

another solution would be to add a wireless nic to your router. I think you may be forced to create a new network and setup routing between the two. Or maybe you can give the new nic an address on the same network and set that address as the gateway for your clients; i'd try this first.

what flavor of linux?

I'm running Fedora CORE 1 right now....Just changed over from Redhat9. Yeah I know, I need to use something more advanced but those are the two easiest I know of when it comes to fast setup, and I'm always cramped for time when setting up machines.

Once I get a solution figured out, my next step is to hope I can get a cheap laptop. Who knows, that's probably hopeless, I notice EBAY old laptops sell for just as much as they would new, or at least close.

Well I'd like a little power under the hood, so to speak. I dont know, 1-1.5ghz, 256-512mb ram (512 preferabbly), decent graphics card, builtin nic card, builtin wireless card (if applicable, can always buy one seperately), nice display monitor (some just suck), dvd/cdrom, and of course at least a 40gb hdd if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom