router or a switch for home network?

I don't see why you can get away with a longer parallel run with 220v than you can with 110v... Usually you have far more power going through a 220v line, which should have a larger and stronger magnetic inductance, shouldn't it?

OH, as for the whole equipment idea...

Modem > GOOD ROUTER > GOOD switch... It's highly unlikely you will have anything over gigabit on your modem, so the link between the router and switch won't matter that much, but your switch, will be the heavy lifter if you do any form of network sharing, the router will just handle basic tasks such as passing traffic, DHCP, and DNS.

Last edited:
An AC power line is not a twisted line so it gives off a magnetic field. When you lay an untwisted line close to it, it inducts some of the field. This causes data systems to send packets more than once and the hum can be hear through a phone. Coax for TV is shielded so it's immune.

The more cost effective why to handle the issue is just to keep distance from any AC power line when you lay out a run. Even though CAT cable and good security wiring is twisted at 4 or 5 twists per inch, it's easier and a lot cheaper to just avoid AC wiring altogether. 1 foot for 110vac and 2 feet for 220vac.

I've never heard of long runs next to a 220 line not being affected.

Well, you said earlier "1 Foot if running parallel to 110. 2 feet if it's 220" which had/has me confused for some reason, not sure why it's confusing me though....

Edit: Oh, you are saying that's the minimum distance to the line, aren't ya? If so, that makes sense to me now.

Back
Top Bottom