Playing WoW for the first time ever...questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
So far the game seems pretty fun but at the same time the learning curve seems some what steep. I have never in my life ever played a RPG, or MMO or what ever this is considered. I think i tried one many many years ago but didn't see the point or how it could be any fun. Well here I am now with a nice PC and just trying out all kinds of games these days.

So I have a few questions for you WoW players. Keep in mind I'm on the 10 day trial still (day 2, lv10).

1. Can this game be played casually? By that I mean is it possible to continue to progress in this game if you are not going to play this game every day and for hours on end? I'm starting to see that I need help to get missions done and it seems some what hard finding help. At the same time i', afraid If I do find help they might be serious players and might expect me to be on more often then not.

2. Why do I see people that are lv below me and they have more then one weapon? They can shot spells from far away and then they can slice and dice up close too? All I have is a sword that I have to keep fixing every few hours.

3. Money money money. How can I get more of it faster? Seems everything i want to buy is way out of my price range.

4. I'm at lv10 and it seems some of the missions now are sending me into areas that have animals at lv's above me and I can't win a fight out there. Is this normal? Do I need to start partying up? I'd like to do as much on my own as possible as I like to go at my own pace.

5. Backpacks. So I need more of them, i only have one and I am constantly running out of room and have to drop junk all the time. Is there another way to get them besides paying for one (can't afford it), looting for it (no luck there yet). Plus I am tired of going to the bank and starting to run out of room there too.

Last question for now...items. I pick up pretty much everything. It seems I have a lot of stuff I don't need. Can I sell this stuff? Should I sell this stuff? Lots of claws, fangs and crap like that.

Any thing else you think that would help please let me know.

I personally found WOW to be a boring timesink. If you can get into the game's lore and play with someone you know then it may be cool, but playing alone is no fun.

1. Can this game be played casually? By that I mean is it possible to continue to progress in this game if you are not going to play this game every day and for hours on end? I'm starting to see that I need help to get missions done and it seems some what hard finding help. At the same time i', afraid If I do find help they might be serious players and might expect me to be on more often then not.
yes, I only log 10-15 hours a week max and am keeping up with stuff fine.. you basically have until the next expansion to get all your gear and lvl up.

2. Why do I see people that are lv below me and they have more then one weapon? They can shot spells from far away and then they can slice and dice up close too? All I have is a sword that I have to keep fixing every few hours.
rogues can dual wield at 10. other classes can dual wield at 20, but some classes can't dual wield period.

3. Money money money. How can I get more of it faster? Seems everything i want to buy is way out of my price range.
learn professions and farm for it.
4. I'm at lv10 and it seems some of the missions now are sending me into areas that have animals at lv's above me and I can't win a fight out there. Is this normal? Do I need to start partying up? I'd like to do as much on my own as possible as I like to go at my own pace.
make sure you do all the quests in the area before you leave. and how many lvl's higher are the mobs (monsters) you're trying to kill? if they are 1 or 2 lvl's higher you're fine, you just need better gear. If they are orange or red, which is like 4+ lvl's higher, then you need to go to an earlier town and do more quests there.
5. Backpacks. So I need more of them, i only have one and I am constantly running out of room and have to drop junk all the time. Is there another way to get them besides paying for one (can't afford it), looting for it (no luck there yet). Plus I am tired of going to the bank and starting to run out of room there too.
only place to get bags are from tailors who will charge, AH, or vendors. Or drops, but drops are the least likely depending on your area.
Last question for now...items. I pick up pretty much everything. It seems I have a lot of stuff I don't need. Can I sell this stuff? Should I sell this stuff? Lots of claws, fangs and crap like that.
if its gray, sell it, if it's white look it up online and you might be able to sell it at the AH for some more money.

answers in bold.

So far the game seems pretty fun but at the same time the learning curve seems some what steep. I have never in my life ever played a RPG, or MMO or what ever this is considered. I think i tried one many many years ago but didn't see the point or how it could be any fun. Well here I am now with a nice PC and just trying out all kinds of games these days.

So I have a few questions for you WoW players. Keep in mind I'm on the 10 day trial still (day 2, lv10).

It CAN be played casually, but the game takes many days worth of playing in order to get up to the highest levels, and getting better armor/gear from instances are also time consuming tasks. As far as finding help and level of seriousness, that depends on who you ask and the population of your server.

It depends on what type of character you are. Some can use wands and staffs, others use two handed weapons, etc.

Running instances is a good way of getting gold. However, you're still at a low level, but in a few levels you'll be able to run instances. if you get good gear, you can sell it at auction houses for cash (If you don't want it).

It depends on the mission. Some quests you are supposed to be in a party. Others just take a few tries, and some application of strategy. You should be able to kill any animal that is 2 or 3 levels of higher than you though.

You can ask a higher level with the right profession to make you one, or check the auction house for a cheap one, or just keep praying for a loot.

If it only sells for a few copper, save the space in your bag. If it can get you a few silver or better (usually weapons), then it is worth it to take it and sell it.

You'll get used to the game eventually, but DON'T GET TOO ADDICTED!

im starting wow as well, ill be checking this thread from time to time

You'll get used to the game eventually, but DON'T GET TOO ADDICTED!

lol. id better be aware of this, it seems like im getting drawn into the game :-s

Thanks for the answers. Ok question....

I have this sword equipped and it's abilities are: 5-11 damage and speed 2.10. THEN, I found this other sword, looks to be wooden but the abilities for it are 20-30 damage and speed 3.50. So I thought awesome this will help out big time. Well I find out I need to use both hands to use it. So I go across BFE to find some weapon dude in Stormwind to train me on the weapon so I can actually use it. Done. Then I find out I can't use my shield now :( Oh well.

Any way, I go to try out the sword and it SUCKS, doing like 1 and 3 damage.

Why??

Thanks!

If you've never used a 2 handed weapon before, then your skill level for 2-handed weapons will start at 1. As you use the different kind of weapons, your skill increases for it. Along with the skill increase, things like hit rate (versus miss rate) will increase and damage from your hits will also increase. All weapons are like this. Professions act like this too. You can make certain items for a particular profession if you at a certain skill level for that profession. You are going to have TONS of questions if you are wondering things like this. You might want to try the World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Forum Index ? They have class guides, leveling guides, profession guides, etc

Oh trust me I have many questions but I just don't want to overwhelm every one! lol

I've never played a game like this before. I'm more a racer, FPS guy.

Well that kind of sucks that the hits have to increase over time. I mean where I am now I can't use that weapon on any thing because I will die. Sounds like I just need to stick with a sword and shield...that to me is what training should be all about. It brings me up to speed with my power of other weapons I have used

It really doesn't take that long at all, especially at lower levels. Just hit "c" for your character screen and then the skills tab should show your current skill level for everything. Just take every type of weapon with you in your bags and as you level switch of to the other weapons and grind a little with each weapon type to get that particular weapon up to the highest skill level for your overall level. It doesn't take long at all, just a few minutes to hunt around the area that your in to kill a few mobs to get your skill level up to par.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom