Gaming PC help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rejected

Solid State Member
I have been looking at some parts, or actually some PC's that would allow me to play game such as Half-Life 2 and Doom 3. Basicly I just want to know if the computer in the link bellow would be able to run those games. I have been planing to get a cheap computer, then start upgrading it as I get more money. Here is a link to the PC I was thinking of getting if it can run todays top games:

The PC I Chose

You don't want the 3000 line because it most likely uses a motherboard that does not have an AGP slot for a video card, which is a necessity for the games you're talking about. Also, if you're looking at a LCD (flat-panel) monitor, keep in mind that you need a response time of around 16ms or less or it won't be able to keep up with the game. And, most LCDs don't like to be run at resolutions other than their native setting which can be up to 1600 x 1200. You might look at a dealer like Ibuypower or Cyberpower and see how they compare. A 19in CRT and a good medium range card like the 6600GT or 9800 Pro would save you a good amount of cash and set you up right.

Dell are crap and that computer WILL NOT play HL2

However for the same amount of money, (or a bit more) you could buy something (even prebuilt) that would play hl2

Definitley not, the onboard GPU will only let you play some of the lowest quality games. HL2 and DOOM 3 are definitely out of the question.

Ok, I will check out Ibuypower and Cyberpower. But are those prices american money? I live in canada. Also are you saying that LCD monitors are not as good as a regular monitor? If so then I can save me some money that way.

When it comes to gaming CRT monitors are still the way to go, unless you are willing to pay for a high end LCD with a good response time. If the response time on a LCD is high then it cannot keep up with the game.

I'm not sure about the Canadian prices. As for the monitor, you need to make sure that it has a low response time and you will probably have to keep it at its default resolution which will probably be high. That means you'll need a better than average video card to keep up. A very good 19" CRT will cost around 200-250$US and will work great with any card you get vs 350-500$US for a decent 17" LCD. Take it all into consideration.

I have a 17" rosewill LCD. It has 16ms response time. Just fine for me. Its really up to you whether you want LCD or CRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom