Is water-cooled THAT good? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

gottcha

Old 07-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by tommycompton
ya paint in your water pump yup that sounds like a good idea
Hmph, flame first and THEN check out the facts?....

Haha, I like ya, you remind me of myself

Old 07-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoad
Hmph, flame first and THEN check out the facts?....

Haha, I like ya, you remind me of myself

yup, thats what i do best. i always thought it was a dye additive, not a type of paint.
when my coolant runs out i was planning on the racing formula with additive, you can call me stupid if its paint.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Techie

You guys keep on saying that liquid cooling is still noisy which is semi-true. Instead of having 5 case fans you only have one large 120mm fan that moves slowly. The only other factor is the pump, but if that's seated properly it won't give you a problem. I have mine sitting around some foam and I can't hear a **** thing. One other advantage about having a waterblock vs. something like a Big Typhoon is that the water block is much lighter and less awkward than a hige heatsink and fan like the Typhoon. A waterblock puts a lot less stress on the motherboard compared to the Typhoon.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by reggie_da_man
Instead of having 5 case fans you only have one large 120mm fan that moves slowly.
My radiator and loop has 4 120mm fans on it...

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 07-07-2006, 09:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoad
To the question, yes, car coolant is usualy higher quality [depends on the brand though of course] and less toxic by far because its mass product and no body wants to mass produce a dangerous poision to enviorment .

Sadly I dont think there is a UV reactive one, but you can add some UV reactive paint to it maybe, i dont know
Well it's usually a bright green, and I bet it would show some results under a blacklight.

EDIT: Also, I don't really see the need for watercooling. To the one who said it's cooler looking; not to me. I like the look of LED fans, and most of all, a clean - empty looking case. I don't like having a bunch of 3/4" thick tubes everywhere. There's also the problem of having to do a lot of work to work on your computer. Like me, I like to tinker on my computer a lot. I dunno, if I see like a wire out of place, I have to tear it apart and fix it...or something like that.

I guess watercooling just isn't for me. I get very good temps on a simple, stock, AMD HSF. I'm sure watercooling would lower my temps more, but really, that is nothing a better air-cooled rig couldn't do.

I also don't trust watercooling. I listen to my music very loud, and I have a pretty nice sub and good speakers. My computer is on my desk, and so are my speakers, so that makes a lot of vibration. Vibration loosens things, so that means overtime the connections could get loose and fail, causing my components to get ruined or damaged. Sure, I could tighten the rigging every now and then, but that's hassle.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

you may not see a big difference between w/c and a quality air hs
during idle, because you are still relying on the ambient room temperature, but its under load and/or when increasing core voltage during an overclock that you see the biggest gains with w/c.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by tommycompton
yup, thats what i do best. i always thought it was a dye additive, not a type of paint.
when my coolant runs out i was planning on the racing formula with additive, you can call me stupid if its paint.
It actually is a dye additive. It's not paint like you'd buy at Home Depot/Lowe's.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

we know, I just mispelled it first and said you could buy a UV reactive PAINT instead of 'Additive'

BTW Don't use distilled water ... use car anti freeze low tox car coolant [AKA 'Green water'] <<< That ROCKS distilled water and doesn't create germs colonies in you're radiator.

-Jo.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Actually, from what the testing says, distilled water offers the fastest flow rates, and the quickest heat dissapation. And a simple 3 dollar bottle of Hydrx additive prevents bacteria growth, and makes it look cool.

Also, unless your like spitting into your loop, you shouldnt get any bacteria growth. Constantly flowing water, in a closed loop with minimal sunlight and oxygen is already very prohibitive towards bacteria growth.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Closed Thread