did i short my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i took all the stuff out and stuck it into a completely different case...smaller power supply by 50W but still should have run and i still got the same thing. fans kicked up for a second and then died.

still think its the power supply or is the mobo really shot?

take out all the extra card and other parts and start from basic. If the bare bones work (IE - CPU/HDD/fans,etc), then add a part. then if that works add another part, etc... until you find out if a part is acually faulty or not. it might just be that something was shorting out your system when completely built.

This very same thing happened to me at one time, and now that same mobo that I thought was dead, is now in my son's computer :)

Nukem

I agree with Nukem, but you can take it right down to barer bones, pull all the bits out of your case, pop your mobo on an anti-static surface (just to eliminate the chance of your case shorting the board), plug in a video card, PSU and CPU (with HS/F), you don't even need RAM as far as I remember, ditch ALL of the drives and make sure the monitor is plugged in :) then power it up, that should eliminate a number of potential faults.
Add bits one by one, testing it by booting after each component added.

Hope that could be of use.

Did you forget to put those pins on the case behind the mobo, so that it isn't sitting directly on the inside of the case. (I don't know what they're called, but someone must know what I mean)

Spacers, posts, Standoffs, they have many names.

Just a word of caution, an anti-static surface could very well be conductive by nature. Those nice shiny bags that your mobo comes in look metalic for a reason, they are and they conduct electricity.

Just a wild stab in the dark. What position is your CMOS (BIOS) jumper in. I have heard of motherboards being shipped with the jumper in the shorted, or "Clear BIOS" setting. That could cause the problems that you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom