Building a $200 Linux Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryoh

Beta member
Hello Community,

Page 3 - Build a $200 Linux PC | ExtremeTech

This site provides a guide for building a $200 Linux Computer. It's my first time building a computer, so I'm a little worried that this guide is illegitimate. Can you please take a look at the parts introduced in the tutorial?

Also, I am concerned that the pc-assembling tutorials online will be too difficult to follow, because all of the parts that I will be using will not match the ones used throughout the tutorials. Is this something to be worried about?

I've been trying to read on some online resources/guides on building a pc. What do you believe is an excellent place to find step-by-step guides (any particular threads on this forum or pages on other websites)?

(I posted this exact same question on PCMech, but the post was disapproved because the link that I provided contained "illegal" parts or something to that nature. But there is nothing illegal to my knowledge)

Looks good to me.. However, it was posted in mid 2010 and some of the parts might not be available / be more expensive nowadays.

Building a computer is pretty much universal among all component types.. A 1-slot video card will install just the same as a 2-slot save for the extra slot.

If I'm looking for tutorials on how to do something, I generally use HowStuffWorks or Instructibles.
HowStuffWorks "How to Build a Computer"

You can run Linux off of about anything. I have Debian on my Atom ITX, as well as my i5 760. So, a wide range there. Wouldn't agree with his PSU choosings, but w/e.

looking at the authors notes regarding case/psu:
This purchase caused us the most controversy and gnashing of teeth. Could we really spend so little on two of a computer's most critical elements? Did we want to? Was it even safe? These are crucial questions, and ones we don't recommend anyone take lightly when planning a system of any price. (Skimping on power supplies can result in energy inefficiency at best—and maybe even worse problems.) But staying within our budget meant taking some risks

so it is 'legit', but at the same time you will have a $200 computer.

The only thing you really have to worry about is wireless adapter drivers. That's the only thing I've had trouble with.

Okay,

These are the CHEAPEST parts that I could possibly find on either Amazon or Newegg. I am very close to placing the order, which would amount to about $250 in total. Will you please see if this list of hardware form a feasible combination of computer components?

CPU:
AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX260OCGMBOX
($68.99)

Memory:
Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3/2GR ($14.99)

Motherboard:
ZOTAC GF6100-B-E AM2+ / AM2 (AM3 CPU compatible) NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
($34.99)

Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ($84.99)

Case/Power Supply:
Broadway Com Corp 1243MA-BLACK Glossy black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply ($29.99)

I tried to find all the parts listed here, but it seems like the prices listed here are impossibly low, based on the browsing that I've done on Amazon and Newegg.

Build a Better Sub-$200 Linux PC - Picking the Parts | PCMag.com

Thank you for all your helpful comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom