Would it be worth investing in a hardware firewall for use at home?

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Well, the thread is pretty much about what the title says.

I'm curious tho, would a hardware firewall sit between my physical landline socket and my router or would it sit between the router and my switch.

My set up is pretty basic.

ISP ---> ISP Router ---> Switch ---> Devices

what would be the pros and cons of having an extra layer of security and \ or would it even be worth it having a software VPN set up threw linux ..

Thanks in advance ..

I'm not interested in doing anything illigal PP, to be honest this is the first time I've booted my desktop since I posted the thread, I was just curious more from an enthusiasts point of view and perspective. More curious about the technology and having something like that to play with. I'm more interested in my drink than anything else these days, couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

EDIT: Thanks for replying tho, that answer was actually really helpfull.

I'm an enterprise firewall engineer, working mostly with Palo Alto and Fortinet (and soon, may be working as a technical trainer for both).

A proper firewall probably isn't worth the cost over usage common sense and locking things down on your network yourself. Lab licenses for the two vendors sits somewhere between £150-300/year.

To answer your other question, you'd sit the firewall between the router (which is also acting as the modem?) and switch. You can theoretically set it up between the wall and your router/modem, but this is more complicated and not really worth it.

Back
Top Bottom