Windows & re install question for friend- no disc - but has key

ckop11

In Runtime
I built my friend a comp a year or so back.. hes been having problems with it for like the last 8 months... but everything he describes is not hardware related i dont think...

I think he goes to a lot of sketchy sites and dls sketchy stuff... ive looked at it a few times but then a month after i look/do what i can, the problems keep coming back after its been working fine.

so the question..

i think its software related? do you guys think the same?

And if it is, can i use my Windows 7 Disc to reinstall W7 on his comp?? he said he found his W7 serial number on his computer under system? is that possible? ive never had to look it up so idk honestly. but if its the serial/authentication code for W7
Can i use MY OEM windows disc and put his Windows 7 Authentication code in?

Thanks!

Well without confirmation that he does go to sketchy sites and downloads sketchy stuff, your guess is as good as anyones. Without proof of it, there is no saying if it is hardware or software related. Plus not knowing the issues that he has encountered doesnt give us any information either on if it is software or hardware.

If you have an OEM Disk, the possibility is there that you can use your disk to install on his machine with his serial. The problem will come in that the disk is tailored to your system. If the manufacturer does not match, there is no saying if it will have the proper drivers for his system on your OEM disk. Even if the manufacturer's match, there is no saying that there will be proper drivers. That is the thing about OEM disks, they are tailored to the specific machine to have drivers for that machine and no others. That is how they can reduce the size of the Windows installed, cause it only has drivers for that specific model.

So you will have to make sure that the drivers are downloaded and stored on a flash drive or other device so that he can get the machine operational. Not to mention, your OEM disk could install software that isnt compatible with his machine.

Thanks for the response. My disc is a oem w7. He has basically the same comp. And i have his driver disc for his mb. Some will pro be out of date. But is there a way you can get an activation key off of the computer that the original/current oem w7 is installed on. Just curious.

Im pretty sure its w7 related. System currupt, he cant install any updates and his computer freezes up on startup most of the time.

Just curious. He can get his hands on a cheap w7 from school so im leaning him towards going with that.. im just curious about the cd key thing.

Sorry for alate response. Ive been busy n he has besn in fl for a while on vaca/holiday

If you use a Win7 disc that is the same version (e.g. he has Home Premium installed and you use a Home Premium disc), then you can use his key that is on the sticker on the side of his computer.

You'll just have to reactivate it over the phone most likely (internet activation will probably fail since its an OEM key), but that only takes 10 minutes and is automated.

Back
Top Bottom