win7 product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

webrat

Beta member
I bought a new laptop with win7:big_grin:, four days later it was stollen:madd:. How can I get the product key so I can use the software on another machine? I didn't get a cd with the software, or any paperwork for the software...

You can't use the product on another machine. The version of Windows installed was called an OEM version, which is tied to that machine and that mother board. It can not be used on any other machine than the one it came with. This is per the EULA of Windows that is included with every product.

Explained also in this topic here. Sorry but you will have to try and get the local law enforcement to help you recover your loss. There is no way to use that information anymore nor is there a way to get access to it.

This is why I encourage people to install Lo-Jack on their new laptops, if I remember right, some business laptops actually can have Lo-Jack implemented into the BIOS which means the thief can't get rid of the program, and most times it operates silently. All Lo-Jack is for, is locking a laptop down once it goes missing, destroying the data, and geo-location to help track down where it's at and recover it. This of course only works once the laptop accesses the internet or has a wireless broadband card installed.

I know for a fact both my desktops support Computrace (Lo-Jack) via the BIOS and so does my Dell Vostro from 2007.

No, I am not advertising for them, but I think they are one of the more important things when it comes to expensive laptops being stolen or lost.

That is the best idea. It is perfect for situations like this. Without some sort of protection like Lo-Jack there is no way to recover a lost or stolen laptop. It is like Where's my Droid apps among various others that help you find your lost Android Device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom