Why 'read only' documents burned onto my CD-RW discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron mccormick

Beta member
Everytime i want to add delete, edit, or write anything with my word documents on a CD-RW disc (i'm using CD-RW as opposed to a CD-R because CD-RW's are supposed to be used for re-writing information.) I go to look at my document, and it says in parenthesis next to the title of the file... '(read only)'. My question then is, what use are documents saved on a disc, when everybody uses discs now AND you can't just open your disc up and use it like a ZIP disc or floppy disc? Is there some step i missed? I haven't written the discs i use, I have only written the information i want to store into sessions, (using Toast Titanium)... I suppose there is an option that might allow me to NOT format information into '(read only)' ? Then, how do I save information onto a disc, if I am not writting a session with Tianium? I use a Macintosh, so it would be a lot easier for me to just use the old 'save as' menu heading I am used to using. Is this not possible longer if I'm trying to use CD discs to store/re-type data in the way I once used Zip discs/ floppy discs?
Someone lend a hand, your help is appreciated! :(

ekÆsine said:
nero, easy CD creator, and most other CD burning programs have a program bundled with them that makes the CD behave like a floppy or zip disk. i have no idea what they call these, you need to "read the manual". here is a video you will find most interesting. :

http://images.roxio.com/en/products/creator7/tutorials/VID_DragToDisc.html

I believe "Toast" is the Mac version of Easy CD Creator...or at least it is still made by Roxio. The step you may be missing is formatting the CD-RW for DirectCD (or whatever else the utility is called) use. There should be an option to do that somewhere...or a utility that does that.

You need to copy the file onto the computer (drag it to the desktop/a folder) to create an editable source. Then when you want to save it back again, go into toast, select the CDRW an place the file back onto it (I suggest a slight name change in the revised edition, such as mydoc to mydoc1 so you can save both versions), selecting burn when you finish. Very easy.

Note: This can all also be done from the desktop if the CDRW shows up on the desktop as a CD shaped volume. If it does mount like that, ignore the previous instructions and just drap and drop files onto it and ejecting the disk will automatically bring up the option to burn the data onto the disk.

Its safe to say that since you said youre using toast titanium that you are using a mac running OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom