Where should I start?!

OP: if you want to write something in Ruby, learn that. Don't think you have to learn c++ first. Or ever.

A developer who has experience in one algol style language won't even take a day to start working on an application written in another algol style language, let alone a month. Learning all the subtleties, libraries, frameworks, methodologies, tools and all that other good stuff will take the rest of his life. Learning c++ first is not some kind of magic short-cut to gaining experience.

c# is pronounced c sharp in reference to the musical notation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_(programming_language)#Name

OP: if you want to write something in Ruby, learn that. Don't think you have to learn c++ first. Or ever.

A developer who has experience in one algol style language won't even take a day to start working on an application written in another algol style language, let alone a month. Learning all the subtleties, libraries, frameworks, methodologies, tools and all that other good stuff will take the rest of his life. Learning c++ first is not some kind of magic short-cut to gaining experience.

c# is pronounced c sharp in reference to the musical notation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_(programming_language)#Name

IMO it's still better learning some kind of lower-level language to understand the mechanics of PL's as a whole.

If you ever did need to go lower-level programming at some point, it'd be easier than trying to from learn downward (high-to-low level). But again, that's just my opinion.

IMO it's still better learning some kind of lower-level language to understand the mechanics of PL's as a whole.

How important is it to understand the mechanics of programming languages? Assuming that is important, how much quicker are you going to learn it this way compared to any other method?

If you ever did need to go lower-level programming at some point, it'd be easier than trying to from learn downward (high-to-low level). But again, that's just my opinion.

I agree with this statement in isolation but it ignores the fact that huge effort has already been put into learning the low-level so you ultimately are putting in the same (or similar) effort.
Code:
learning                   effort
low -> high             big -> small
high -> low             medium -> medium
Thing is that if you learn by actually trying to write what you want to write you can actually achieve something while you learn.

How important is it to understand the mechanics of programming languages? Assuming that is important, how much quicker are you going to learn it this way compared to any other method?

I agree with this statement in isolation but it ignores the fact that huge effort has already been put into learning the low-level so you ultimately are putting in the same (or similar) effort.
Code:
learning                   effort
low -> high             big -> small
high -> low             medium -> medium
Thing is that if you learn by actually trying to write what you want to write you can actually achieve something while you learn.

I could be regarding low level to procedural and high-level to more object-oriented style (not necessarily true, but in general it tends to be). Trying to do procedural-only if you've learned on an object-based background be a bit tougher to do than learning procedural first and then going object-oriented.

I learned the latter way (procedural --> object), and I thought I was able to understand how OOP languages worked better. After doing OO languages for a while, going back to procedural can sometimes be tough for me.

Not saying that's how is for everybody, but that's just how I found it so I figured I'd share my opinion on it. Everybody has their own learning styles and would have to put different amounts of effort into learning a new style/language :).

Just learning C would be a good place to start. Once you do this then you can move onto object oriented languages like C++ or Java.

Back
Top Bottom