What is a Geek vs a Nerd? Classic Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
Something that threw me off the other day was when someone said that the difference between a geek and a nerd is that a nerd is not as sociable. I dont think this makes the clear distinction between the two. and maybe there isnt any split one way or the other. I've been swirling this question in my head for a while so I've decided to bring it to the forums.

Whats the difference between a geek and a nerd?

Pencil necks, pointdexters could be synonymous with a nerd.

Revenge of the nerds comes to mind.

Geeks is more to describe someone's hobby.

This makes me believe that it has to do with if your obsession integrates into your work life or is separated by just your hobby.

Any thoughts?

Nerd

41784_35094959408_4548_n.jpg

Geek

professional-internet-user.jpg

Should give you an idea. Basically to me I classify nerds more as the math guys, book worms, and that such. A geek to me is more of a computer hobbyist or enthusiast. Somebody who goes co co for pc-puffs.

Nerd is a very American word, seldom is it used this side of the world, at least to my knowledge.

I would associate a nerd as someone who is intelligent, reads math books for fun, and meets up with a small group of like minded friends to solve physics equations.

To me a geek has similar intelligence, but also has many friends, is sociable, has more 'normal' interests. Basically just someone who is a normal person, but with just a lot of knowledge in a subject that they love, such as computers.

I would say nearly everyone on this forum is a Geek. Nerds wouldn't come to this forum because they think they are far and above anyone else intellectually.

geek - someone who has one or more abnormal obsessions with certain subjects (eg Star Trek, comic book series)

nerd - someone who is intelligent and spends a large amount of time studying

Geek - someone that knows and spews out completely useless and irrelevant information about sci-fi shows and video games, the information is correct but never practically useful in most situations..

Nerd - Someone in which is highly talented in practical application of science, logic and math but completely lacks any common sense and or social skills. More socially awkward than geeks. Is more useful in very specific situations, most notable how to make complex, jury rigged contraptions for simple situations.. :/

Lol - these are some of the interpretations my friends have done on me in the past.

geek - someone who has one or more abnormal obsessions with certain subjects (eg Star Trek, comic book series)

nerd - someone who is intelligent and spends a large amount of time studying

The closest one yet...

Geeks are slightly antisocial and obsessed with some sort of subject.
Nerds, are someone who is intelligent and socially akward. May be nervous.

lmao rememvber the simpsons?

Bart: You're a nerd milhouse!
Milhouse: Nut uh Bart! ... Nerds r smart ... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom