Is it still more economical to build vs buy?

I have the Alienware M15 and other than the heat issue if I'm in a long game session, it suits me just fine. The heat thing is a class level issue. They stuck a 2080 max-q GPU in there with sub-par cooling. So I had to pull it apart and replace the TP. Helped some, but not super effective. I just max the fans out when I'm playing. :p

Dell was easily the worst when it came to LTTs recent secret shopper. iBuypower wasn't that great either.
I watched that one too... Dell's was kinda meh and those custom non-removable I/O shields tick me off. However, they also have a XPS review and I have heard from many sources that it is the best windows laptop on the market right now.

Last edited:
Laptops are solely proprietary, I suppose that if you really tried you could get all the parts from ebay or something like that, but you'll still be stuck with a propeitary mobo to fit in a proprietary frame, with limitations on your wireless, memory, cpu....ect.

I also forgot to mention about building/buying...

With all the new hardware coming out between Xmas and beginning next year, it might not be a bad idea to hold off and see what shakes out. If your not into the bleeding edge, you might be able to get some good deals on last gen stuff or a good discount on a last gen (or newest gen) pre-built.

You should see what 2080tis are going for used... when the 3000 cards came out i looked on kijji to see if i could find a 2080ti for $300 but i guess everyone else had the same idea.... lowest price? $900, way more then I would pay for an obsolete card.

Back
Top Bottom