Status
Not open for further replies.

threadmark

In Runtime
I have this quad core 2.4 Ghz
1 Gig RAM
512 MB graphics Memory

Running Windows Vista

It has been a mission to create a media pc that can perform all the cool things like internet, tv, movies, weather, radio, Music at the touch of a button.
Iv heard a lot about windows vista being Memory hungry and unstable. Well im happy to finally report it is running smooth as silk from figuring out virtual memory. Before tampering with the configuration settings the operating system was using 60 to 70 % of the RAM with a larg number of hard faults occurring in some areas of use. With all my media apps it would run at 80 to almost 90 %. But after installing an old hard drive then enabling data compression and distributing all the virtual memory to this one drive has done the trick. The OS and all my media apps being DVB viewer, windows media player, macro software, and some small network tools running at the same time and its keeping the RAM at a humble 48 % with not near as much hard faults as before. I have not had an embarrassing freeze when friends are using it since the change. Can someone explain why data compression has help in this situation, I have a few theories but nothing note worthy. Also why has this change increased performance so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom