Verizon FiOS router and a wireless bridge

Jawnskeel

In Runtime
So as of late, I've been trying to get a little fancy with my home network :D

I don't have ethernet cables running through the walls in my home, so I decided to use an old router as a wireless bridge to connect, over ethernet, a few pieces of hardware to the internal network. Installed dd-wrt on the router that would act as a wireless bridge. I finally set it up to connect to the Verizon FiOS router I was given, and I even had internet access through the bridge. I couldn't, however, see what IP belonged to the router, even though I assigned it 192.168.1.15. The DHCP server on the FiOS router may have leased that IP to someone else, which made me lose connection to the wireless bridge.

I will admit, I haven't really looked at it much since then, but I want to setup a backup server.

How can I give devices connected to the wireless bridge their own IP? Also, is there any way to block the FiIOS router from giving out those IPs?

Edit: So I found the setting to limit the IP range of the FiOS router. I'll now set the bridge's IP address to one outside of the range. Still need to figure out how to assign specific IP addresses to those devices connected to the bridge.

Last edited:
You can either have the router always give a certain device a certain ip or use a static ip on each device in the range of your router.

You can either have the router always give a certain device a certain ip or use a static ip on each device in the range of your router.
At first, I was thinking that not every router had that option out of the box, but then I saw that he installed dd-wrt on it.
If he has that, then yes you should have the ability to issue a single static ip to a single MAC address, without disabling DHCP.

Edit:
If I knew the fios router model, I could tell you if there is a NAT-though option, which would allow your bridged router to take over the DHCP functions making it easier to manage.

Last edited:
Here's the section of the manual that you need to read
*refer to attached*

Most important are page 136&137:
136 tells you that you can see a list of connected devices that the DHCP server is issuing IP addresses for.

137 shows you how you can create static ip's for certain devices by entering its MAC address, that way the router will never give out that IP address to a different device.

Edit:
Your old router's MAC address should be labeled somewhere on the router itself (perhaps the bottom?).

Last edited:
Here's the section of the manual that you need to read
*refer to attached*

Most important are page 136&137:
136 tells you that you can see a list of connected devices that the DHCP server is issuing IP addresses for.

137 shows you how you can create static ip's for certain devices by entering its MAC address, that way the router will never give out that IP address to a different device.

Edit:
Your old router's MAC address should be labeled somewhere on the router itself (perhaps the bottom?).

That was exactly where it was! I was looking for something like it, but I couldn't find it. The awesome networking will ensue!

Back
Top Bottom