Unsigned Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteFlare

Baseband Member
Having some issues getting unsigned driver message when installing an SSLVPN client on a computer.

The issue on this computer is defiantly that the program does not have a signed driver for the 64-bit version of Windows.

Is there anyway to allow unsigned drivers to be installed on this computer?

I have Windows 7 64-bit Professional, and it does not give me an unsigned driver message installing the same SSLVPN client, so its only happening on this Home Premium version.

Any ideas?

This is the message that pops up, except the the driver information is not the same. This is just an image taken from the internet:
vista-unsigned-driver.png

The VPN software is an Array SSLVPN tunnel adapter. "Array" is the company who makes the client. Cannot say for sure what the exact version we are using.

As I am sure you are already aware this software has not yet been listed as compatible for Windows 7 64-bit (it has been for 32-bit) so it may be the case that you may need to wait for the fully compatible 64-bit version to be released or to contact the company directly to seek advice.

An additional option is to try and turn of the digital signature check before you install the software, then turn it back on after the software has been installed

I haven't tried it myself but from what I can see it should be

Click Start and type CMD in the search box, right click on CMD and click "Run as Administrator"
Then type
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON

And do the same with the word OFF at the end to turn it back on

Microsoft requires signed drivers for the software to run in all 64bit flavors, and the command listed in last post is no longer usable.

To use an unsigned driver, you will NEED to set the OS to boot into a developer test mode to test unsigned drivers. This will allow the driver to load and not be blocked by the OS, but can also allow malicious code run at a lower level.

Once in this mode, you will have a watermark on the lower right corner, but will be able to run any driver you wish, signed or unsigned.

To enable test-signing, use the following BCDEdit command:
Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
Then restart, you WILL need to run this as an administrator with elevated rights in command prompt.
At the bottom right you should see, "Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7600" or something similar.

The command "bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON" won't enable this mode, if you wish to ever disable this mode, just use "Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF"

I just want to clarify, this is a DRIVER LEVEL issue, turning the checks off then back on WILL STOP THE DRIVER FROM LOADING even after it is installed, windows WILL check the driver upon every load if the test mode is disabled. I ran into this issue with running some very out-dated software that still works in Win7 64bit, but just doesn't have the money for buying a signed driver from Micro$oft.

I stand corrected on the command script, cheers for adding the correct option c0rr0sive

I understand this can also be turned off using the group policy editor as well, but as with all home versions of windows this is not available, so this was technically a waste of time me mentioning it lol

The issue they are encountering I think owes alot to do with the restricitive nature of home edition
Pro/Corp versions of windows know they need to run a lot of bespoke software and custom drivers, that do not go through the MS labs and I assume therefore the system has to allow unsigned drivers to be given more leniency.
As they have said it works fine on Professional and does not work on Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom