Unresponsive computer 2/20 minutes into Steam.

Sassynuggets

Solid State Member
Hello :)
I have a custom built PC that freezes during gameplay, yet it varies on how far into playing I'll get before it gives in. I can't move the cursor or use task manager, so hard reboot is necessary. When I check in the event viewer it is usually error code 7023, which is something along the lines of 'class not registered', then 3 more events under the same code with 'catastrophic media failure'. I've scanned and repaired the HDD using command prompt script to no avail, and have scanned the HDD itself and there were no errors.

Initially I thought it may be an overheating issue, but my temp at highest are around 60°, and Speedfan records my temps as too cold at times. I've dusted my system out and cleaned the internal pieces and that only made my fans quieter.

I've reseated the ram and put it into a separate slot and this has done nothing.

I've checked my CPU, RAM and Disk usage which is usually around 80% at most. The games run beautifully on ultra before cutting out, so it isn't as though my computer can't hack it.

I've updated all my drivers, deleted my older ones, scanned through everything. I've downloaded Malwarebytes and there is nothing found.

I don't know what else to do. Please help, here's my specs:

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Motherboard
8GB Vengeance RAM
Nvidia GTX 750Ti 2GB
1TB Seagate sata III 7200RPM hard drive
500W Corsair CX500 80+ Bronze PSU

Thanks, Holly

Well, I'm guessing you have an AMD FX. You need to use Coretemp or HWmon instead of speedfan to record your temps. It sounds like you might have a virus or your HDD is dying.

Hi,
I've tried using HWMonitor yet I'm only getting one value on there? Also I don't think the HDD is dying considering it's a year old and barely been used, the only time it has been used it has had this issue. When I'm running any other service it usually works fine.

Being barely used doesn't mean much, but I mean....

considering it's a year old and barely been used, the only time it has been used it has had this issue.

What are you doing or playing exactly when having this issue?

Yes what games are you playing, You said ran great on ultra and you have a 750TI, well back when the 750TI was first out it ran all the newer games back then pretty well but was the lower end of the higher end cards, For newer games it's a bit weak and WILL be a issue trying to run them on ultra, there are a few games that are starting to make my GTX970 work a little harder now, Still runs all at good rates on ultra but games are getting more and more demanding. Might be your just working the 750TI a little harder than it can handle.

Games such as Ark and Shadow of Mordor. I know the 750Ti is quite dated now, but I don't understand how the FPS can be smooth and run fine for 20 minutes before cutting out. Typically with games such as Tropico and World of Warcraft it runs fine. At the same time, the PC has frozen during playing a video before and I'm sure it can handle this. I'll record and post temps soon.

• Which version of Windows are you running
  • You updated drivers, does this mean you had the same problem prior to updating drivers? If not try rolling drivers (video) back to previous version
  • Run the internal Windows Assessment from the performance screen and see if it can get all the way through it or locks up. I would do this a few times, let it get warmed up
  • Create a test USB with Memtest86+ run for an extended period, starting it before going to bed one night and checking it in morning is a good thing to do. I've had memory that tested fine until the 10th test run and then start error outs all over the place...
  • Try running Hard Disk Sentinel it has a free trial it is fine
  • Try running Seagate's Sea Tools as well
  • Perhaps others can suggest a better Burn Program say Prime 95 or Passmark? To stress the CPU and GPU for a while and see what happens.
I would also suggest that if you have a feeling of virus that you nip that in the bud for sure and run Esets Free online virus scan in Safe mode if this is pre-Windows 8.

• If Pre-Windows 8 work in safe mode and
  • Run rKill
  • Run Eset Free Online Scanner
  • Run Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Full Scan
  • Run Malwarebytes standard scan
  • Run JRT (Junk removal tool)
  • Run ADWcleaner
  • Run Autoruns and get rid of those strange things that shouldn't be loading
From your description I am not getting the feel of a virus/malware. Feels more like hardware failing under stress. Graphics GPU, Memory, CPU is what first feel is...best to be thorough though.

Games such as Ark and Shadow of Mordor. I know the 750Ti is quite dated now, but I don't understand how the FPS can be smooth and run fine for 20 minutes before cutting out. Typically with games such as Tropico and World of Warcraft it runs fine. At the same time, the PC has frozen during playing a video before and I'm sure it can handle this. I'll record and post temps soon.
ARK is pre-alpha and has problems on its own. If this has been happening before I'm still going to point at the HDD. The 1TB Seagate drives are known to die and cause issues. Saw it all the time up here at work too as they use the same model in some of the HPs.

• Which version of Windows are you running
  • You updated drivers, does this mean you had the same problem prior to updating drivers? If not try rolling drivers (video) back to previous version
  • Run the internal Windows Assessment from the performance screen and see if it can get all the way through it or locks up. I would do this a few times, let it get warmed up
  • Create a test USB with Memtest86+ run for an extended period, starting it before going to bed one night and checking it in morning is a good thing to do. I've had memory that tested fine until the 10th test run and then start error outs all over the place...
  • Try running Hard Disk Sentinel it has a free trial it is fine
  • Try running Seagate's Sea Tools as well
  • Perhaps others can suggest a better Burn Program say Prime 95 or Passmark? To stress the CPU and GPU for a while and see what happens.
I would also suggest that if you have a feeling of virus that you nip that in the bud for sure and run Esets Free online virus scan in Safe mode if this is pre-Windows 8.

• If Pre-Windows 8 work in safe mode and
  • Run rKill
  • Run Eset Free Online Scanner
  • Run Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Full Scan
  • Run Malwarebytes standard scan
  • Run JRT (Junk removal tool)
  • Run ADWcleaner
  • Run Autoruns and get rid of those strange things that shouldn't be loading
From your description I am not getting the feel of a virus/malware. Feels more like hardware failing under stress. Graphics GPU, Memory, CPU is what first feel is...best to be thorough though.
Running all that on the bottom could make things worse. You've got 5 programs that do the same thing listed. Only Malwarebytes needs to be ran, which has already been done and nothing found. Don't need Autoruns when you can simply "disable all" under msconfig.

Thanks for all your help. My PC is Windows 10, poor choice I know. I haven't had much chance to test things out today but I will say that decreasing disk and CPU usage has helped somewhat, as the freezes space out more. I can assure you all that there is no signs of viruses.

I've just tried the Hard Disk Sentinel and I have 100% health and performance.

Last edited:
I have also just performed the Seagate HDD test, using the ISO and it reads as no errors. Why would Shadow of Mordor scan for what is the best graphics settings and freeze?
My readings of Furmark are core: 1045MHz/76°C/99%, mem: 2750MHz/8%, GPU power: 96.4% TDP, fan: 51%

It's ran for 15 minutes without pause in windowed.

I've left it to install League of Legends and it has frozen at 11%, and I could only hard reboot. Evidently it isn't just in games that it is freezing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom