Tips/Tricks/Reccommendations to Decrease Start-up Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is ill advised to tell someone to save 5 seconds on their boot which could also prevent their system from doing other tasks.

Among techies, to have the quickest boot time is a mark of acheivement. To me, your reply describes the solution as being "good enough" and not "the best". Thomas Edison didn't stop trying just because the challenge seemed un-obtainable. Success is achieved where others have given up.

However, I do somewhat agree with the rest of your reply. After so long, cut it off. Send it to the back burner, but always be looking for the newer and better technique. Technology changes so much that new ideas are presented very quickly.

I see the next steps as aquiring new hardware or start Folding@Home.

That was actually KSoD's reply I was just agreeing with him. I've just seen (myself Included when I was younger..LOL) Screw themselves trying to skin a second here and there, By all means play with it but most people can't dig their way out when they're done playing and bring it to me.

Among techies, to have the quickest boot time is a mark of acheivement. To me, your reply describes the solution as being "good enough" and not "the best". Thomas Edison didn't stop trying just because the challenge seemed un-obtainable. Success is achieved where others have given up.

However, I do somewhat agree with the rest of your reply. After so long, cut it off. Send it to the back burner, but always be looking for the newer and better technique. Technology changes so much that new ideas are presented very quickly.

I see the next steps as aquiring new hardware or start Folding @ home

Yes but as your first sentence says, it is among techies and it only boosts your e-peen. It has no real world accomplishments nor does it help people in the end. Cause in the world of techies, your are only the best for 5 seconds till someone beats you then you are stuck trying to beat them. It is nothing more than a fake competition to prove nothing to no one. It solves nothing for the end user except to show that they should participate is stupid competitions that hold no regard for anything other than ego boosting. We are not here to pet egos nor are we here to promote an accompishment such as quickest boot time. We are here to help people solve their issues.

So yes while we should always be on the lookout for advances made, we shouldnt suggest people try to achieve goals that are out of reach given their setup.

I believe there is real world accomplishment and sharing / posting information would benefit ppl. If your boot time is quicker, then it is more likely that your machine is always faster. Multiply this by the duration of time spent on the machine and the result would equal an increase in productivity. Also, time spent reasearching machines is time well spent. One reason why I'm so smart with machine is because I've spent an enormous amount of hours trying to figure out problems like this. Some of the knowledge learned may not help you now, but it may be helpful in another case senario

Also, if we're not here for egos, then stop posting rankings for folding and 3dmarks. You could still post the numbers. Just leave out the names. Monitor how many ppl go inactive.

Note mobile version doesn't let me edit.....that I know of.

Addlt pts, competition for building the best fastest machine wouldn't be a silly idea. You could be able to use it to gain respect among peers. This leads to better networking and possible job opportunities.
A faster build maybe unobtainable now, I think the constraint is budget. That may change in the future. I think its best that the op knows now what they can do to speed up the machine

well, you guys are both right.

Now, I will agree that I've spent much more time on increasing my start-up time than those few seconds will save me.

However, that wasn't really the whole purpose. I just decided that it would be a fun challenge to see how fast I could get it.

I don't know if you could consider me a "techie," but I really enjoy learning about my computer and computers in general and I learned a lot during this process of tweaking my start-up time.

Anyway, I think that I've gotten my start-up time about as fast as I'm going to get it. I've shaved off about 5 - 7 seconds to get my system to about 50-52 sec on start-up. Thanks a lot everyone for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom