Fully Optimized
Preachers Guide to the PSP.

What this guide includes:

A. FirmwareÂ’s
B. Movie Conversation
C. WiFi
D. Miscellaneous

A. FirmwareÂ’s

This is all the firmware info/updates. (This info is from sony).

System software ver 2.71
• The PSP now supports the europian location free player and has added an eTV feature
• You can now download Game demos from the web browser

System software ver 2.70 (25th april 2006)

Network
• (internet browser)now supports macromedia flash contents playback *you need to enable the flash contents playback by system settings. *the macromedia flash player version is flash player 6.0 (a part of the functions is not supported).
• The settings of the (internet browser) has been added into (settings) -> (connection settings)
• The audio contents from channels in the (RSS channel) section now can be saved into the memory stick.
• (auto) option added to (rate change) in (location free player)

Music
• Added file extension to playable AAC format.
• You can now drop pictures in folders album folders for the album picture instead of embeding it in the track.

Settings
• Added [Enable Flash Player] in [System Settings].
• *To change this option, you need to connect to the internet.
• "Simplified Chinese" and "Traditional Chinese" added to [System Settings] -> [System Language].
• Added [RSS Channel Settings].
• Added [UMD video L & R Button] into [Video Settings].Sonys firmware timetable
• Other
• Fixed some issues when using a memory stick with more than 2GB free space.
• *This problem has not happened among the memory sticks sold in Japan until april 24th.
• you can now play downloaded demos on your psp.
• You can download 2.70 from our downloads page here

System software ver 2.60 (29th November 2005)

Network
• Revisions to strengthen security have been added
• [LocationFree Player] has been added as a feature under [Network]
• [Auto-Select] and [Unicode (UTF-8)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar
• [Text Size] and [Display Mode] settings of the [Internet Browser] can now be saved
• The input history of online forms accessed through the [Internet Browser] can now be
• [Volume Adjustment] has been added as a feature to [LocationFree Player]
• You can now download video data that supports copyright protection using the [Internet Browser
• [RSS Channel] has been added as a feature under [Network]
• [Simplified Chinese (GB18030)] and [Traditional Chinese (Big5)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar

Video
• Copyright-protected video can now be played under [Video]. (This applies to video data saved on the memory stick)

Music
• WMA has been added as a codec that can be played under [Music]. (This applies to music data saved on the Memory Stick)
•
Settings
• [Set via Internet] has been added as an option to [Date & Time Settings] under [Settings]
• WPA-PSK (AES) has been added as a security method under [Network Settings]
• Korean input mode has been added to the on-screen keyboard

system Software Ver. 2.50 (October 13, 2005)

Network
• [LocationFree™ Player]* has been added as a feature under [Network].
• [Auto-Select] and [Unicode (UTF-8)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar.
• Settings for [Text Size] and [Display Mode] in [Internet Browser] can now be saved.
• The input history of online forms accessed through [Internet Browser] can now be saved.
• *Use of the LocationFree™ Player feature may not be supported in all countries and regions. Depending on where you live, the LocationFree™ Base Station may not be available for purchase or use. Certain models of the Base Station are not compatible with the PSP™ system. For details, visit http://www.sony.com/locationfree/ownerslounge/psp

Video
• Copyright-protected video can now be played under [Video]. (This applies to video saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).
• For details, contact the video content provider.
• Note that fees may be charged to obtain or use copyright protected video.
• Downloadable copyright-protected video may not be available in all countries and regions.

Settings
• [Set via Internet] has been added as an option to [Date and Time] in [Date & Time Settings] under [Settings].
• [WPA-PSK (AES)] has been added as a security method under [Network Settings].
• Korean input mode has been added to the on-screen keyboard.

System Software Ver. 2.01 (October 3, 2005)

Settings
• A patch has been added to address a security vulnerability in the system software.

System Software Ver. 2.00 (August 24, 2005)

Network
• An Internet browser has been added.

Video
• 4:3 Screen Mode has been added (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).
• Go To feature has been added (for UMDVIDEO and UMDMUSIC).
• A-B Repeat feature has been added (for UMDVIDEO, UMDMUSIC and video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).
• Audio options have been added (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).
• MP4 (AVC) has been added as a playable file format (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).

Music
• The combination of SonicStage version 3.2 (or later) and PSP system software 2.00 (or later) has made it possible for music files in ATRAC3 plus format to be transferred to a Memory Stick PRO Duo
• MP4 (the audio codec for MP4 format audio files is MPEG-4 AAC) and WAV (Linear PCM) have been added as playable file formats (for music saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).

Photos
• Wallpaper feature has been added.
• Image transfer feature has been added.
• TIFF, GIF, PNG and BMP have been added as viewable file formats.

Settings
• Korean has been added as a system language in [System Settings].
• [Character Set] has been added in [System Settings].
• [Theme Settings] has been added.
• [Internet Browser Start Control] has been added as a security mode in [Security Settings].
• WPA-PSK (TKIP) has been added as a security mode in [Network Settings].
• Web address shortcut feature has been added as an input mode for the on-screen keyboard.

System Software Ver. 1.52 (June 15, 2005)

Music
• UMD™MUSIC can now be played under [Music] in the home menu.

Settings
• Security for the system software has been strengthened.

System Software Ver. 1.51 (May 18, 2005)

Settings
• A patch has been added to address a security vulnerability in the system software.

System software ver. 1.50 (march 2005)

Game
• play games in UMD format
• game sharing (for supported games)
• save games on Memory Stick
• copy savegames to another Memory Stick
• delete savegames from Memory Stick

Video
• watch video in UMD format
• watch video saved on Memory Stick
• control panel with audio, angle, subtitle, volume, screen mode, display, chapter, fast forward and reverse, slow, frame advance, repeat, play, pause, and stop controls
• remote control and system buttons can be used for play, pause, menu, stop, chapter, fast forward and reverse, and slow functions

Music
• play music in UMD format
• play music saved on Memory Stick
• play tracks in Group Mode (from Memory Stick when groups were configured on a PC)
• control panel with previous and next group, previous and next track, fast forward and reverse, play, pause, stop, and group mode controls
• remote control and system buttons can be used for play, pause, stop, skip, and fast forward and reverse functions

Photo
• view photos in jpeg format (saved on memory stick)
• control panel with view mode, display, help, zoom in and out, rotate left and right, move up/down/left/right, previous and next image, and slideshow controls
• remote control and system buttons can be used for slideshow, zoom, previous and next, rotate, and move functions

Settings
• network update (update firmware via wi-fi)
• USB mode (for connecting to a PC)
• video settings (UMD menu, audio, and subtitle language)
• photo settings (slideshow speed)
• system settings (language, nickname, format memory stick)
• date and time settings (set date and time, adjust for dayight savings time)
• power save settings (auto backlight shut off, sleep mode)
• sound settings (automatic volume limiter system, key tone)
• security settings (password, parental control)
• network settings (WLAN)

B. Movie Conversation

The program which I will use is PSPVideo9 Version: 1.74

Download link: http://pspvideo9.com/Download/ ItÂ’s a freeware.

The program is 4.5mbs (Install) Very good size in my opinion, anyways to converting.

Setting the codec quality, In general lets say you have a 700mb file and you have a 1gb memory stick like me id like the movie to take about 400mbs of the card which is pretty good quality and great sound and lets me have space for my other files.
Open up the program and click setup:
My preferred quality is: SP/320x240/15fps/512kbs stereo/96kps sound – In Brown
Your output location: Mine is F:/PSP Movies – In Blue

Ok, so you have selected your quality and location let the program convert your file.
Click the One click transcode and “Open” after you select your file.
The program will start to work.

IMPORTANT: While itÂ’s converting I wouldnÂ’t really use the PC to much because it can effect the movies output.
Okay, you have your .MP4 and .THM file congratulations now moving it over to your PSP.
Step 1: Copy/Move the files to your X:\MP_ROOT\100MNV01 Note: X is youÂ’re memory stick root.

Now go to your PSP Home. Go to the Video tab then Memory Stick and walla there is your video have a great time watching.

C. WiFi

Ok, first you need a WiFi router which I think most PSP owners have.
How to connect:
Search for your router and check that your signal is good or else youll get disconnected often.
SSID- go to your routers main page via PC and check out its SSID from that page.
WEP- On a D-Link Router the WEP is near the bar code 9 digits on numerals.
None- None means no security, you can connect.
Try the connection and add it to your favorites.
Tips: Disabling firewalls helps a lot of PSP users to connect. Turning the Wifi On button on the PSP usually helps find your router. I WOULD switch on SSID/WEP so my neighbors wont connect to me. I will not go over every error because it will take me 300 years to do that but I think google can be better for your errors then this guide.

E.Miscellaneous

Basically keep your PSP clean at all times I would suggest an LCD polish for the screen. I would suggest the Logitech playgear pocket I think itÂ’s a good case for a good price, I know saved my PSP from a few falls. Well thatÂ’s it have fun with your PSP experience Tech-Forums, hope this guide helped some of you out.

Preacher

Nice job. Looks pretty complete to me... but, then, I don't own a PSP.

I don't think it is all that great. I would consider myself a PSP enthusiast, (got one at launch, flashed the bios with custom firmware, modded case), and while that guide does a great job of covering the technical aspects of the PSP, it doesn't do justice to the aspects not condoned by Sony.

For example, did you know that you can run (a very laggy) Win 95 on your PSP? How about the fact that I can stream audio/ video from my computer to the PSP? Let alone the fact that I have numerous emulators all on my memory stick.

So, although it is well written (although it needs to be updated, the newest firmware is 2.81, but mine is at 1.5, and can dual boot into 2.71), it doesn't cover the more shady sides of the PSP, which I feel are its best attributes.

Hope I didn't offend,

Dex

thanks, that guide helped me with some stuff. btw how long does it take for you guys to make a guide like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom