• McAfee

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • BitDefender

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Kaspersky

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
Re: Tech-Forums Top Rated Antivirus 2010

I voted for ESET, but the free version of avast is great too. I typically install that on systems that I repair.

Everyone in the Apok,Mak,Osiris trifecta has great points. As far as thick client end users, it's always going to be a problem. But when it comes to a rack of servers that I'm managing .... I haven't had problems (spam on mail servers, virus, malware, et cetera) for a long long time.... but, of course, thats probably because it comes from the experience of having dealt with a rootkit or some other variant before.

It's like the saying goes with backing up ... there are 2 types of people out there: 1) Those that back up their **** and 2) Those that haven't lost something important before. IMO, it is only a matter of time.

All the more reason why clouds and thin/zero clients via PCoIP are going to be coming around like wildfire to a lot of corporations. Save money on IT resources, back-end server cost and end-user hardware cost... and TIME!!! "Oh, what's that??? You got a virus on your machine?" ... "Hang on a second while I rollback to your last snapshot."

One of my friends got MSE. From what he said, it sounds really good. He did a lot "shady" stuff. It didn't let anything through. He even scanned with other AV's afterwards, too. Like ESET.

I am a PC tech at a small company, and I have moved almost exclusively into the anti-malware, network monitoring, and general security realm altogether. I cannot believe the spike in malware activity AND the constantly-improving tactics and techniques used by the "bad guys".

In my personal opinion one single antivirus product cannot cut the mustard. I have been most successful with using a combination of the following: Bitdefender 2010 (I feel it is important to have an advanced firewall monitoring feature) or Kaspersky, staying on top of Microsoft's latest patches, SysInternals Suite, and a handful of free anti-rootkit and anti-malware apps available online (combofix, UnHackMe, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Helios Lite, GMER, etc.) Also, a good Host Intrusion Detection System is useful as well (OSSEC comes to mind).

I do suggest using as many tools as possible because of the necessity of cross-referencing results. One product might pick up on something that another product missed altogether.

Although, Norton, Eset, AVG, and the like are all very common, very popular choices, I feel that they do not come close to something like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, or even the free A2 Squared. Mind you, this is only my opinion :) Though I understand that Symantec/Norton has greatly improved this year in detection rates and even surpassed Bitdefender in areas (Bitdefender is slow, but I have been happy with the detection rates). Kaspersky was my favorite before I learned about and started using Bitdefender for my clients.

In the end, I have been most satisfied living in two worlds: the Windows / Linux dualboot solution!

Anyone else feel the same?

In my experience, it seems that Kaspersky is horrible.
It has false positives over a lot of things, like Google's homepage.
And the Orange Box when I was installing it off of the disc. (I bought it at a store.)

My computer freezes up very often. I'm pretty sure there's at least one piece of malware on it. D:

EDIT: Whoops, forgot I already posted in this thread.

I Have MSE. No problems so far. I was using Norton All in One for a long time. Seemed to work good but I hate when anywhere I went online it would give me popups about protection. The best Protection in my opinion is the one you don't know is there. Do the work for me lol

Alright, who voted McAfee? >_>

I like Blink Security by eEye. Great detection capabilities. I ran AVG for a long time and on a whim I deinstalled that and installed Blink and it picked up 2 worms that AVG missed. Since then I have used it on just about every troublesome virus call I have (yes I do not nuke and pave)

Voted for Nod32 on the list but my history of AVs go, I used AVG for quite some time and it was good. Recently it seemed to miss a few stuff, so I changed to Nod32. It was awesome...well to me lol, but now I'm using MSE and I like it :).

On my work laptop I am stuck with Symantec Corp AV 10.1.6 and I hate it. Its slow, and is a resource hog but I'm stuck with it. If I dont have then Lotus Notes (Yeah I know) won't load

i was using avg for a while but i noticed it lags the comp on startup and scans eats up so much resources. im use nod32 now and its great

Back
Top Bottom