Tablet Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linexaw

Beta member
Im looking for a tablet in the range of $200-$500.The thing is I dont plan on using it outside my home, all i want to use it for is to stream media from my win7 pc and maybe some lite web browsing through out my house. I dont need anything extremely powerful(i have a very powerful custom built gaming pc and my HTC thunderbolt suits me fine for mobile) just something simple thats not a complete piece and will last. Android is fine but I prefer Win7 tab, any one have any suggestions?

Well sadly there isnt a Windows 7 Tablet out there. The only one that was even slated to be released, from Dell, was pushed back. So you either get an Android Tablet or you get a iPad.

There is the Samsung Galaxy Tab in 7", 8" and 10".
There is Vizio Tablets in 8" and 10".
Acer in 7" and 10".
Motorola Xoom 10"

Then the iPad at 10".

Okay after looking at the Asus one a bit more I guess I was wrong and they do have Windows Tablets, the same type of tablet that I am thinking of. But even so they have 2GB of RAM in that thing and that still will cause lag issues running Win7 HP. Plus looking at your price guidelines, these type of tablets are out of the range. They all start at $500 where that is your max. I would suggest a look at some Android Tablets as they are within that price range and they can do so much.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f38/samsung-galaxy-tab-wifi-only-245271/

I
have a full blown review of my experience with the 7" version of the Galaxy Tab. I still use it heavily everyday. That is how much this device has made it into my daily use. On an average day I use my tablet at least 4-6 hours, where I sit at my PC only about 1-2 hours.

The main issue I see is that there will be lag. Win7 is a great OS, but really I can see it being used on a tablet as problematic. You will want to install stuff on there, and if there is no touch control then you cant really use the tablet without a mouse connected. Added into that the storage is only 32GB, that can easily be eaten up by Windows in no time. I still have yet to eat up 25% of my storage on my Android Tablet.

Plus at this time, Windows doesnt really have that much in their marketplace. They jsut reached 30,000 Apps for their Windows Phone 7. Most of those probably wont even work on these tablets. So you will be stuck trying to fight for space as well as find apps that you can use with the native touch screen.

As I said storage space is not an issue as I would be streaming media. I use my phone for all my android needs. Anyways I've begun looking into wireless touch usb monitors like the one mimo has, anyone ever try one if these and could you comment on the range?

Storage is a concern. If you install programs of any kind or use it for web surfing, then the 32GB of storage that comes with the device will be filled quickly. Dont believe me, just go ahead and read all the topics we have on our site about people who have their SSD drives filling up quickly with minimal apps installed.

Pagefile, internet history, cache and so much more is also stored on that drive with a Windows based device that 32 GB can be eaten up very quickly leaving your device to suffer. As once you reach about 5% left of storage the system will start to lag greatly causing your streaming to suffer.

So yes, for a Windows based tablet you are worried cause if you are not, then you do not understand what happens with Windows when you start to fill up the small amount of space it gets. This is just a desktop version of Windows installed on these things. It is not optimized for tablet use.

I would seriously re-consider your stand point if you are looking at a Win7 Tablet. While I love windows, you WILL have issues with it. You will be back asking about why your getting lag and stutter when trying to do normal activities and getting disk low error messages.

@ BroidrineV1.9, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom