Switching windows 7 license (product key) to a new drive.

bembz

Beta member
I recently bought a new hard drive that i planned on installing windows 7 on but i'm having a problem now when it comes to activating the product key on my new hard drive after i installed the same copy of windows 7 on it. I know you can't have an active product key on more than one windows at the same time but i have no idea how i'm suppose to deactivate it on my old one to then being able to activate it on the new hard drive. I tried this method "https://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc/" which didn't turn out to work either.

Is there any way for me to even do this or would i have to buy another copy of windows and reinstall it with a brand new product key?

Appreciate the help.

Just a new HDD, or an entirely new system?

If it's just the HDD you "uninstall" it by just wiping the drive. Or not having it connected to the internet.

Just install Win7 on the new drive and enter your product key; you may have to call MS to reactivate Windows; the number and instructions will be given in the activation Window and usually takes < 10 min (and is automated).

Further on that, to activate it on the new PC, just install as normal and enter the key when prompted during setup, then when you can get to the windows desktop click the "activate windows now" button either in the bottom righthand corner of your screen (in the toolbar) OR by right clicking My Computer and choosing "Properties" (then scroll to the bottom where it gives your windows license details)

It'll say it failed to activate windows over the internet then ask you if you want to do a phone activation. Say yes and it'll ask you to choose your country, then provide you with a phone number and a huge string of numbers to enter into the phone when prompted. Easy from there :thumbsup:

Phone activation can be fun, done it a couple times, no real problems there. Now try reusing a Win 8 or 10 key with new hardware and have some fun.

Back
Top Bottom