Strange VPN works partially on 1 comp and not another

Cakes and Pies

Beta member
So I'm seriously losing hair over this. I'm an expat living in China and the internet is terrible here. No facebook, youtube, twitter, and even gmail fails to work half the time without a VPN. I quickly found and purchased a vpn through taobao, which is a chinese online marketplace (think ebay but all stores) and it's the fastest VPN I have ever used. It can go on all websites, but just not facebook or youtube on this computer. It works on other computers. I'll start with the beginning.

I originally had windows 8.1 installed on a hard disk and used that VPN, and also could not go on facebook or youtube. Then I bought a msata drive and installed another instance of windows 8.1 on my new flash drive. Surprisingly, the VPN was now able to go on all sites, including facebook and youtube, but ONLY on the windows 8.1 that was installed on the msata. If I booted to the windows 8.1 installed on my original hard disk, it would refuse to cooperate once again.

Curious, I dug up my old computer with windows vista business edition to try it out. Surprisingly, the vista machine was also able to go on all sites.

Then I found out that my EFI partition was still on my old hard disk and I couldn't do a clean format. So I had to do a fresh install of windows again on my msata with EFI, then used diskpart to format my original hard disk. Now when I use my VPN, it could no longer go on facebook or youtube anymore.

Vista machine still works fine...

I'm totally stumped as to why this is happening.

This windows 8.1 is a fresh install of everything, so I can confidently rule out viruses. Both computers are connected to the same wifi. Using a wired connection made no difference. I tried restoring default firewall settings, no luck.

Please help!!!!

Back
Top Bottom