Static IP vs DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imburr

Solid State Member
Im installing a small office network consisting of modem, router, wireless router, wireless hub, SBS 2003, and 6 client computers running vista/xp. My question is... Comcast ISP provided me with a static IP address, but I am told letting the routers configure it for me is much simpler. Now I understand the internet into the server should be a static ip, and the intranet out should be DHCP, but can I let everything be DHCP? Like, can I not mess with the IP addresses and let the server/modem/routers decide ALL the addresses?

You can, but sometimes network printers and things of that nature won't work with computers correctly, I usually assign the IP to them in a mac table on the router.

But if your doing VPN or something, see if your ISP will give you a dynamic IP and keep that IP assigned to your account.

In answering my own question... I am doing VPN, so Ill have to use the static IP. Im just unsure as to where to put it, that will allow me to set the rest as DHCP, thus saving work. I def dont want to assign an ip address to each item in the network :p

The address your ISP gave you is for all outgoing connections out of your router. Everything behind the router you can give DHCP addresses to, except your server. I'd recommend assigning that one a static IP.

There's no problem with letting the 6 clients get their IPs via DHCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom