Spare Computers Kicking Around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I may have found what Im looking for:

Beowulf & - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A cluster can be set up by using Knoppix bootable CDs in combination with OpenMosix. The computers will automatically link together, without need for complex configurations, to form a Beowulf cluster utilizing all CPUs and RAM in the cluster. This type of system is scalable to a nearly unlimited number of computers.

All youd do is boot off ClusterKnoppix, assign a master computer (the fastest) and install it on the rest, and they automatically link up to the master. I think I have some work to do.

EDIT Looks like parallelknoppix is even simpler.

EDIT 2: Not gonna happen. The Clustering thing will work, but Folding@Home doesnt support clusters, even with their new SMP client. Shame.

Nah I couldnt use them for normal computering... It frusterates me when I have to wait 10 seconds for a browser tab to open. I think theyre just going to stay folding until i get some better computers to replace them with, or until F@H supports SMP over clusters.

Thats weird that FAH doesnt recognize the cluster as one processing power...i figured it would have. I'm going to email them up there and ask them if they have any kinda patch coming for that specific situation, because it would greatly improve the efficiency of my setups.

While Clustering is not currently supported, there is a development which might create a Folding@home framework that could run on clusters.

At present the Folding@home client itself is not capable of running on Beowulf clusters. The linux client will run on a single node, which means Folding@home will not take advantage of the cluster itself but will probably run as fast as the slowest part.

I dont see your point?

My father rescued for Apple IIe from his school thinking that I would be interested in playing the games I was playing when I was 10 years old (and younger)

My father rescued for Apple IIe from his school thinking that I would be interested in playing the games I was playing when I was 10 years old (and younger)

Lol.... well, you can play Oregon Trail..... or Oregon Trail 2.... if you have any spare 5.25" floppies laying around. I wonder if it would even be possible to get F@H to run on one of those.

ZORK! lol the Apple][ is pimp. programmer nowadays are too wasteful with the resources they have. back in the 80's the most you had was 640k of ram, that was they whole decade! i could rant for hours about how inefficient apps like photoshop, and windows media player are.

Lol.... well, you can play Oregon Trail..... or Oregon Trail 2.... if you have any spare 5.25" floppies laying around. I wonder if it would even be possible to get F@H to run on one of those.

Ive been using 5.25" floppies for coasters. And Im sure F@H would run on it, but it would take so long to complete a WU, it would be worthless, because they would expire before they are completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom