Small car needed for under $6K - opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
I am now in the market as well for a car that I can teach my 15 year old and my wife can drive to work downtown= must be small for parking in the city and get good mileage ( over 25 per gallon in the city). My Silverado truck and the new Toyota van we have are not really good vehicles to teach a new driver on. Budget= up to $6k ( prefer under 5K). Short list = Corolla, civic, etc. I will also start up my own thread.

I am a large guy ( 6'4", 275 pounds ) with a touchy lower back so have not looked at any small cars in about 2 decades. Hence, help from personal experiences are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ted

Checked Craigslist? That's how I got my car; '04 Monte Carlo, near perfect condition, 102k miles, 25-30mpg interstate, 20-25 in town. Got it for under $5k.

You could find a pretty cheap, small car for a starter vehicle on there easy.

Ya- been all over craigslist and autotrader - just don't know reputation/values of them. Which hold up which fall apart, etc. Looking for someone who has one or knows about one from personal experiences or at least knows someone who has/had one. good or bad experiences help to narrow the field.

Don't laugh, but an Echo....... I'm 6'4" and use to trucks, an old gf got an Echo 5 speed and the thing was great. You sit upright and as a tall guy, theres plenty of room. The manual drove like a go-kart... it was fun, but not enough power to really get into trouble.

For value, a golf/jetta/rabbit are incredible.

Chevy Aveo, my friend has one and she hit a deer in it and it runs perfect still. I don't know about price but they are little run around cars for sure. A teacher I had in HS had one too. He was like 5' 10" and 350 lbs, so I think you'd be good ted.

Nice car- will car for the mileage today. Wife has it in her head that she wants a manual transmission so she probably wont go for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom