Slow Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orush7

Beta member
I recently upgraded my internet speed to 10 MB (used to be 5) but the internet in my PC got slower.
I ran a speed test and the download rate was 2 MB while on my laptop it was 10 MB.
My PC is clean of viruses and its connected to the integrated router via cable.

Do you have any idea of what could be wrong and how to fix it?
Thanks in advance

btw sorry for my bad english

Restart the router
Restart the modem
Change the cable
Same accross different browsers? IE, Opera, FF, etc.
Have you tried a speed test to other servers? Closer ones, ones that arn't being bombarded...

Of course, do one of these things and then test, move onto the next so you know what the problem was in the future.

Already tried restarting the router and checking other browsers.
Im checking my ISP's speed test so its pretty reliable. The thing that bothers me is that other computers on the network show completely different results...
I'll try changing cables first thing on morning. thanks

Can you describe the topology of the network you are using, and the number of computers on the network?
When you say that "other computers on the network show completely different results...", does that mean that this computer shows 2 Meg, and all the others show 10, or do they all vary?

If all the hosts show 10 meg with the exception of this computer, it's likely something physical, or an issue on the PC. You have already tried changing the cable, but what about trying a dirrent port on the switch (or router) and/or PC.

If all of the different hosts are showing varying results, then personally, I would shut down ALL traffic on the network, and run the speed tests 1 by 1. The problem with running speed tests on a network is that just because you have 10 meg internet doesn't mean every host will get 10 meg all the time. If George is sitting on a computer downloading songs from iTunes, while Johnny is playing WoW on his laptop, and Suzy is playing PS3 or Xbox over the internet, your results won't show 10 Meg. It doesn't mean that you don't have 10 meg service, just that you don't have the full 10 meg to use from that host, it's a shared medium.

Also, you haven't mentioned what type of service this is, but with many, you can log into the modem, and get vital information such as any errors it sees on the line, as well as the speed it is connected at.

My PC is connected to the modem (+router) via cable, other computers are laptops and they show 10 Mega connection.
I tried a different port on the switch but it didnt solve the problem.
And I didn't understand your last line, what do you mean what type of service?

My PC is connected to the modem (+router) via cable, other computers are laptops and they show 10 Mega connection.
I tried a different port on the switch but it didnt solve the problem.
And I didn't understand your last line, what do you mean what type of service?

He's asking what technology are you using for Internet. Example: Cable, DSL, FiOS. Those are the common residential connection to reach around those speed.

Try reinstalling your network card, you can do this if you have the driver or most of the time Windows will automatically install it after a reboot. You can access this in device manager.

Also be sure to check the properties setting, there is an advanced tab. Try finding anything that is unusual and match those settings with the other computers.

One other thing to do is rebooting into safe mode with networking, you can do this by pressing F8 before the loading screen. Give it a try from there and see if anything changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom