Setting up a 'WAN' Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zune Guy

In Runtime
:confused:
Ok, I'm a complete newby to this kind of thing, but I would like to know what knid of router/equipment I would need to transmit a Satellite BB signal over 1-2km (as the crow flies). The place I want to send it to is partially hidden behind a hill but the top of a mast, which I could connect a receiver to is visible. We have no broadband currently and its too much to pay 2 way each month, so could we possibly share it with neighbours, and split the monthly cost and equipment (Assuming it isn't illegal :rolleyes: )

(P.S, Dunno, but I think this might be the wrong section, but what can one do??) :D

If you have a clear LOS from point A to point B, you should be able to transmit 802.11 over a directional antenna at both ends. Prebuilt antennas of cantenna design can be had for about $40/ea, much cheaper if you build your own.

The only problem you would have with sharing your broadband connection would be with your ISP (guaranteed it's against their terms of service).

This can be done, It will cost you but if you have to do it look at a book called Wiley - Wi-Fi Toys - 15 Cool Wireless Projects for Home Office and Entertainment that book has a entire chapter on sending a WiFi signal over such long distances.

I got mine from mr.torrents, so i don't know how much it would cost in the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom