Tips on setting up a Network.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Over the last several years I have pulled apart my Network several times in order to accommodate more systems to my Network. Take systems out and repair or maintain stuff.

Managing a network can be a very tedious task depending on how you go about such things and most importantly how you set up the various software within each machine.

As long as you have a purpose for the hardware in question then their should be no concern as to weather you should or can use it in comparison to have having the lasted piece of kit. Setting up servers on a client to server model or server to client model is no easy task for most people who's realms of thought operate out side the logical boundary of PCs or technology's.

One thing I have found is to seriously take in to consideration the network cabling and the various power outlets you will be using. Running a surge protector off a surge protector is a big no no as most PAT testers will you the drain and the complexity and potential risk of fire or other various damage is potentially high.

I have a multitude at home of network cabling at what I use when I need it such as 5Metres over 20Metres will be more accommodating for cabling management. The Physical layout as opposed to the network topology is a compelatly different thing.

The physical layout will need to be taken in to consideration when it comes to space and the ease of use for each machine or terminal or when dealing with servers again this is important because simple access will be required to maintain the servers and systems in question. Good organisational skills are a must a planning ahead along with any potential pitfalls such as not having the correct power management or correct cabling.

Dealing with networks is no simple task when dealing with the network topology. One of the most common types of networks you can have is a start topology type network were as one will use something like a rack switch or a desktop switch and simple connect when need to the bigger network. This could be the internet or a place of work or even school.

Try to remember when setting up networks and dealing with the software side of things this in consideration with the network topology this will dictate how the network will be used. For example setting up a star and using such things art home such as tablets, or laptops, or desktops or even your mobile phone you will be ultimately interacting with the router or some sort of central access point for greater access to the inter in this case of a home use network.

This guide is by no means a comprehensive list of things you should or should not do but for example again; some people may want to draw up some blue prints. A simple diagram or a mind map of when the network should or should not look like.

If you wish to set up a VPN(s) or a Proxy(s) on your network. take in to consideration the overall LAN (Local Area Network)and how you will be interacting this. A LAN to an extent can be anything on an internal side of things other than a WAN. Sitting behind you router will be you LAN and should you wish to set this up you can do so at the router stage or a client stage. Operating Proxy(s) on a application level as such people who might torrent can do this from within the software as Proxy based services are Application based.

I will add to this if and necessary as for now thats just some basic tips.

:) ..

Back
Top Bottom