Server support needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ludwig

Beta member
can u recommend me any company, which provides server admin support. I have a small firm and am looking forward to expand it and need external support for infrastructure.

What do you need servers for? Do you need an external site, an intranet, database servers? Do you have, or plan on acquiring, your own hardware, or do you want rented datacenter space?

You can go from a $5/month shared hosting plan to a fully dedicated server. Each has it's own level of administrative support. Like synergy said, we need some more information on what you specifically need this for.

Rackspace, inetu, ServInt, and Softlayer-->top tier dedicated and cloud
KnownHost, VPSLatch, Wiredtree--->Popular VPS hosting
Rackspace cloud, cloudweb, inetu cloud--->cloud hosting recommended.
I currently do not have any shared hosting recommendations, as shared hosting is not recommended for most sites.

I would argue that last comment with you remixed, shared is fine for a low traffic blog or a company just starting out it's when you grow beyond a few hundred regular users or need more bandwidth that you need to seriously consider a dedicated or virtual dedicated.

Yes it might be ok for a low usage site and it's cheap but here's something they might want to consider:

However on shared hosting if you are using 'excessive' CPU usage some companies will shut your site down. Bluehost is one to profusely avoid. They sell "unlimited" plans but they shut you off for cpu usage that is barely a blip becuase they have way to many clients per server. Prime example of OVERSELLING... I would certaintly avoid any hosts doing so. It's tragic really. People fall for the unlimited thing and they get burnt. Nothing in the hosting industry is unlimited. Even Rackspace can't provide unlimited anything.

Bluehost has even discouraged people from using PHP pages! They say they take up too much cpu and instead use static pages. WTF??

often these shared hosting configs they will have thousands of accounts on the same server and that .1% cpu usage is a TON to the other clients.

I would never trust a shared with anything more then a personal site or extremely low traffic site.

If you do have to get a shared make sure it is NOT unlimited and make sure that they have the clear usage guidelines in thier TOS and be sure to read the ENTIRE thing.

However, getting a Virtual Private Server will give you dedicated resources and it is not that much money. 20 or 30 a month isn't bad for having peace of mind.

Hostmonster is a subsidiary of Bluehost. I've been with them for small projects and sites for over 5 years now and have nothing but great things to say. I do use a ton of PHP and have had traffic surges before moving a growing site to a dedicated server. They have never shut a site down on me. Support is the best I've had from any shared host as well.

I have heard many complaints of users being shut down because of overuse or violation of terms of service. I'm sure many are valid complaints. But there are a great many customers very satisfied as well. Always look at both sides.

For $140 for 3 years I wouldn't complain even if they DID shut one of my sites down. There are plenty of people who can't afford an extra $30 per month on hosting. So using a shared host is a very viable option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom