server migration

mccarron

Solid State Member
We are a non-profit running one server the last 7 years as a file and database server. After some recent hardware problem it was decided to upgrade both hardware and software to the most recent editions. We presently run Windows server 2008 STD and SQL Sever 2008 Std and backup Exec. We are moving to OS 2012 and SQL 2016 and upgrading Backup Exec.

I am wondering what is the best and easiest way to move from one server to the other with a minimum of downtime for my users. Our Databases (accounting, mailing) are critical to our organization. I act as admin for everything as well as my other duties and installed and maintained everything on this server for the 7 years.

There are 2 lists, this one is what I would do in a day, a few days or a week prior to the transition (depending on urgency and if you have the new products yet)
  1. buy the new products, rack them up and install OS, OS roles and features, as well as software
  2. get everything staged for the production data and production functionality on the new machine
  3. begin transferring all non-imperative windows roles DNS, DHCP (whatever else you use that isn't imperative) to the new machine... you'll have them both running for a time

Then when you want to migrate everything to the new production machine, this would be done all at once during non-peak hours (night/weekend)
  1. transfer production database and current files to the new machine, configure shares and SQL to match previous configuration ( do this at night, weekend, or early morning when there is no activity - if you operate 24/7, be sure to advise of downtime and allow yourself more time than you expect you will need)
  2. finalize everything by making the IP of the new machine the same as the old one (best to do just incase someone out there is static to the IP rather than using DNS)
  3. test functionality at a few different end-user workstations using end-user credentials at a few different locations in the office or at different sites (remotely if you need to)
  4. expect problems, streamline efforts to resolve common issues by automating, and allow yourself additional hours the following business day

Last edited:
And make sure you have a back-out plan of being able to put the old server back in place, in case of catastrophic problems after the migration.

Yea if you're using a raid 1/10, pull one of the drives in the mirror before doing anything - so you can always pop it back in as the primary

Back
Top Bottom